Weapons cleaning questions for the gunsmiths on the board

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Re: Weapons cleaning questions for the gunsmiths on the boar

Post by rgrokelley »

I traded some WWII Brit stuff for a WWI 1917 Eddystone rifle (the predecessor to the troops getting issued our M1903 Springfield)

Needless to say, it looked like it hadn't been cleaned since WWI. To get the round to chamber I had to attach a .50 caliber cleaning brush on a rod and use a drill. I kept that thing going back and forth, while I poured on break free, until I finally was able to chamber a round.

After firing it, the round wouldn't come out unless I used my foot to kick the bolt back. So I did it again.

This was about the only time I ever used a drill on a weapon.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
twitch
USAF

Post by twitch »

Anyone have use with a drill and a brillo pad/ brush to clean a shotgun barrel? Thinking it won't be a bad idea since it is a smooth bore?
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things...The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
J.S. Mill
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

twitch wrote:Anyone have use with a drill and a brillo pad/ brush to clean a shotgun barrel? Thinking it won't be a bad idea since it is a smooth bore?
If the International Weapons Cleaning Research Foundation concluded a 50 year study that proved using a drill to clean your weapon was perfectly safe, I'd still cringe and seeing it done, and would likely bitch slap anyone I found doing it to one of mine.

I reckon I'll just have to chalk that one up to grouchy, resistant to change syndrome. :)
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

When we first got the M249 in Batt, I found that bug juice and sandpaper worked great for cleaning. Lol
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
twitch
USAF

Post by twitch »

abnhawk wrote:
twitch wrote:Anyone have use with a drill and a brillo pad/ brush to clean a shotgun barrel? Thinking it won't be a bad idea since it is a smooth bore?
If the International Weapons Cleaning Research Foundation concluded a 50 year study that proved using a drill to clean your weapon was perfectly safe, I'd still cringe and seeing it done, and would likely bitch slap anyone I found doing it to one of mine.

I reckon I'll just have to chalk that one up to grouchy, resistant to change syndrome. :)
Roger that Ranger abnhawk :lol:
"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things...The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
J.S. Mill

Return to “Weapons of War”