Introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

oldvet
US Army Veteran

Introduction

Post by oldvet »

Thank you for accepting me on your site. I am a retired Regular Army officer and former enlisted soldier to the rank of SGT E5. I have a total of 34 years of service. I like to say that I went in under Eisenhower (1960) and out under Clinton (1994). I have served in the National Guard, Army Reserve, and spent the last 25 years on active duty as a Regular Army Officer. I am a Vietnam veteran and airborne qualified (went to jump scholl at age 30). I was on orders for ranger school twice in the 1970s and each time the orders were cancelled by DA in lieu of other things. I was informed that the Army wanted officers with a college education and so one of those times they sent me to bootstrap instead of Ft. Benning. (Long story no need to bore you with it)
I think that the Army rangers are the best there is and I look up to them and respect them for all that they do.
Thanks again for all that you guys do.

oldvet
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Introduction

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Old. Vet. . . What unit were you with and where in the Nam?

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
oldvet
US Army Veteran

Re: Introduction

Post by oldvet »

Ranger Charlie,
The first half of my tour I was with the 1st aviation Brigade, 343d Aviation Detachment (Provisional) at Qui Nhon. As a captain, i had the security for the airfield. The second half pf my tour was with the 18th MP Bde. I commanded a joint customs unit out of Camp alpha that took me all over Vietnam I was in the Mekong Delta, then on to Phu Quoc island off hte coast of cambodia. I had blanket travelorders. Iin July 1971 I spent a couple of weeks with the 173rd Abn Bde as they stood down. That was at LZ English and LZ Uplift as well as Charang valley all in the central highlands. My MOS was as an MP officer but when I arrived in country they were 100% overstrength in my MOS so that explains my assignment to Qui Nhon. I spent time with the ROK Tiger Division while I was there and ate a lot of korean C rations. Bot they were spicy and garlicky! I even spent Thanksgiving on a PBR off thr coast of Qui Nhon. Also I did experience shots fired in anger in combat and engaged. But who needs or wants war stories ? Those are for civilians. I do remember the LRRPS types in country, some were not ranger school trained but everybit the ranger. I am not qualified to judge.
Thank you so much for the welcome to your site.
oldvet
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Welcome here FOG Vet. :D
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
oldvet
US Army Veteran

Post by oldvet »

Thank you, Ranger mortar_guy 78.
oldvet
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome, its not often that I can't say welcome youngster! Your service is much appreciated.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
oldvet
US Army Veteran

Post by oldvet »

Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds,
Thank you for the welcome and I appreciate your service. An old friend of mine once commanded the Wolfhounds, Colonel George A. Custer, God rest his soul. We served togetger after Vietnam at Yuma Proving Grounds in the early 1970's.
oldvet
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

oldvet wrote:Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds,
Thank you for the welcome and I appreciate your service. An old friend of mine once commanded the Wolfhounds, Colonel George A. Custer, God rest his soul. We served togetger after Vietnam at Yuma Proving Grounds in the early 1970's.
oldvet
I served under him in the Wolfhounds in 1969.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com, Sir. Looks like you have had quite the career.
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
oldvet
US Army Veteran

Post by oldvet »

Thanks, Ranger Ron. As far as my career, there is so much left unsaid yet no regrets at all.
oldvet

Return to “Introduction Archive”