Fiscal Year Airborne Availability

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Gilbot
Future Soldier

Fiscal Year Airborne Availability

Post by Gilbot »

Rangers,
I recently went to MEPS to get all my processing done and when I got to speak with the counselor on adding in things like Airborne and RASP, he said that since my ship date is so far out, 20120703, the slots aren't even available for reservation, he mentioned something about the new fiscal year coming around or something to that degree. I searched around, but could not find any information to prove or falsify this claim. He told me that I can try to reserve slots around mid-September to October when they become available. Can this be confirmed as far as the truth behind it is concerned, or should I get back to my recruiter ASAP to head back down to MEPS to secure an Option 40?
Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my posts.
goon175
Ranger

Re: Fiscal Year Airborne Availability

Post by goon175 »

This is something I just learned of the other day when I tried to get a guy an airborne option. I was working with a kid that is going into his senior year, and thus cannot ship until July, but wanted 13F with airborne. I had seen airborne options on the system when looking for a job for a HS grad earlier in the day, but when looking for this kid, there were none. So I called down to the ROC and asked about it, and they said that because the ship date is so far away, thus making the date that they would actually get to airborne (you figure 4 months after ship date at the bare minimum) even further away, that they do not know what the availability of those slots will be yet. So, long story short, from the experience I just had, I don't think you are getting jerked around. The key here is to not let your recruiter forget about getting you the option attached to your contract later down the road.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Gilbot
Future Soldier

Re: Fiscal Year Airborne Availability

Post by Gilbot »

Thank you very much, Ranger goon175. You answered exactly what I wanted. I just wanted to be sure the counselor wasn't playing me for the youth I am.

Return to “Recruitment Process”