Army Backs Off Talk of Using Marine Camouflage Pattern

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Army Backs Off Talk of Using Marine Camouflage Pattern

Post by Flesh Thorn »

The Army claimed Tuesday that it's not looking to swipe the Marines' combat uniform, after a top official said in an interview that the branch might just use the same design over the Corps' objections.

The Army is weighing different camouflage patterns as it moves to select a new set of uniforms. The older Universal Camouflage Pattern has been criticized as ineffective, and some soldiers see the Marine Corps' MARPAT (Marine Pattern) as vastly superior.

Brig. Gen. Peter Fuller, former head of Program Executive Office Soldier which is responsible for military gear, earlier told the Army Times that the Army could remove the Corps' emblem and appropriate the uniform for Army use if it proves most effective in field tests. That's something the Marines don't want to see happen, claiming the uniform is their property and that Marines should be distinguished from other soldiers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06 ... z1OducOtpt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
scar
Ranger

Re: Army Backs Off Talk of Using Marine Camouflage Pattern

Post by scar »

The Army is in the process of converting over to multicam, I am not sure why this article was written as I have yet to find an issue with this camo pattern, we (3/75) have had and used it for our last 3 rotations, and not one person has complained. That being said the new issue of multicam or OCP (Other Camo Pattern) as someone decided it needed to be named, is still being produced with the same shitty material and cut as the ACU. Still I am not sure why this was ever brought up, the Army seems committed to OCP's for some time to come.
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

We wouldn't be in this goddamn predicament if someone had just left well enough alone. I have worn both ACU, BDU, DCU and multicam in theater. All they had to do was give the commanders the option of wearing either BDU or DCU (you know, METT-TC dependent) in their AO and all of this could have been avoided. This is a hot button topic for me. Look at the billions of dollars wasted on all this fucking uniform horseshit we've gone through. Everytime we have get a new uniform, all the kit has to be changed to the new color. In an effort to save money with a "Universal Camo Pattern" the leadership of the Army has wasted billions of dollars and we're now back to square one. Wear the ACU in garrison, where the multicam while deployed. Jesus fucking christ, didn't we already have this? Wasn't it called the BDU and the DCU? Did we really need to go to gravel-flauge? The money wasted on this could have gone to anything, developing better ammo, procuring a better sidearm, buying better boots, new, lighter body armor, you name it. No, some collective of assholes decided that this is what they wanted and since they never left the FOBs (gravel galore there), they figured all of Iraq and Afghanistan must be nothing but one giant gravel lot. This, along with the new "Army Service Uniform" really solidifies my belief that USASMA and AAFES have a racket going.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
scar
Ranger

Post by scar »

This is true, I didn't think about the kit, I have worn a Ranger green plate carrier for the last three years, I get back from this deployment and someone decides I need the same design plate carrier only in cyote tan...I do not understand, maybe they thought I needed to take everything off my kit and put it all together. I guess I can always be thankful that I am not wearing that terrible system I see the rest of the Army wearing
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Big Army has wasted a shit ton of money on changing kit color and it's still the same shitty kit! The coyote tan kit is the same Eagle stuff as the green kit. Not the best, as you well know, but a ton better than the 45lb ACU patterned body armor with delt and groin protection that you can't even get in and out of a vehicle with.
2/75 97-00

75th RRA
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I guess flat spray paint is something that the Big Army decision makers have never heard of ?
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

So maybe my focus is off here, but what I found worse was the arrogance of the USMC. We want Marines to be distinguished from other soldiers?

Fuck you. What about taking the attitude that if the USMC has a better camo pattern that might help save even one life, then support it?!?
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
scar
Ranger

Post by scar »

RangerX wrote:So maybe my focus is off here, but what I found worse was the arrogance of the USMC. We want Marines to be distinguished from other soldiers?

Fuck you. What about taking the attitude that if the USMC has a better camo pattern that might help save even one life, then support it?!?
While the Marines do have a good uniform, they have 3 I am sure the head shed somewhere could decide on taking the worst of the 3, none the less the new OCP is as good or better than anything the Marines have in my OP
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Yeah, I have no real input on the ability of the uniform, it was just the attitude of "this one is ours, get your own". I don't let my kids play that shit.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
scar
Ranger

Post by scar »

RangerX wrote:Yeah, I have no real input on the ability of the uniform, it was just the attitude of "this one is ours, get your own". I don't let my kids play that shit.
So you are raising your kids to the Ranger mentality the "if it works give it to everyone" attitude. My impression of the marines has always been that of they are too good to have the same equipment/uniforms, only most know the truth, just now them! :mrgreen:
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
The Holmchicken
Ranger

None of this would be a problem if the Army leadership hadn't fucked with the unifrom in the first place. But whats done is done. As for the Marines, they can eat a dick, along with the Navy and their new "blueberry" uniform and the Air Forces incredibly expensive (and fucked up) version of the ACU. BDU, DCU and multicam. It's all that was needed and everyone has been saying that for the past six years.
2/75 97-00

75th RRA
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

What was the Marine Corps' combat uniform before the Army went to the ACUs. I'm pretty sure it looked just like BDUs.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Rangerguru wrote:What was the Marine Corps' combat uniform before the Army went to the ACUs. I'm pretty sure it looked just like BDUs.
Before the Corps adopted "marpat", they were content to wear the identical uniforms that we wore - the BDUs. The train engineer's cap and the great big EGA logo on the pocket was all they needed to look different from the guys who wore "US ARMY" and a flat topped cap.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

So why does every branch need it's own unique uniform and equipment ? I am sure that it is nice, but does it help win the war ? Wasn't this issue addressed back in the 60's hence that is why there was the BDU pattern that we all wore during the 80's ? Also, it was nice that someone recognized that soldiers in Afghanistan needed better boots, but then they bought Danner Combat Hikers that most do not even bother to wear because they "suck". Shouldn't there be a balance between having the proper equipment to do the job and just being gear queer ?
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Return to “The News Dump”