Does this sound pretty shady to you guys?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Cdoc93
Embryo

Does this sound pretty shady to you guys?

Post by Cdoc93 »

So I was around the wrong people about 6 months back who were smoking weed. Yeah, it was stupid but I didnt know the fuckers had it till the guy pulled a J out and started smokin on it. I told them I didnt smoke and I dont want none of it because i planned on doin better in life. Well of course a cop shows up, busts the guys then cites me to court for secondhand smoke, public intox- marijuana. I told him I didnt even smoke anything but he still gave it to me. I was 17 at the time, I was not arrested and I never pleaded guilty because I damn well wasnt. I planned on fighting it but lucked out. I went to the arraignment date and the judge didnt have jurisdiction on jeuveniles so I came back on a later date. I didnt have a hearing or anything, the judge found out I was joining the Army and he was old school Army also so luckily he dismissed the case with prejudice, meaning it could not be reopened by the plaintiff basically and that was a final decision. So i was not arrested, was not charged, and had absolutely no adverse dispostion. Long story short, I lucked the fuck out. I informed the recruiter and I was not disqualified because it wasnt a conviction. However, when I go down to meps this next time to ship and get to reception, he told me not to mention it. But on the SF-86, (I have a couple previous questions about this form) he told me to mention it.....

To me that sounds shady as hell, especially because I would be basically lying down there at reception by not bringing it up as he tells me too. Plus would they not say hey, you said this on your SF-86 but different on your enlistment papers, whats up with that? hes giving me the whole, you want to ship dont you? BS, telling me I wont ship if i tell them, also saying I better hope that I do ship because his station commander will get a hold of him, and "shit roles downhill", then there was "if you do start saying anythin that disqualifies you, i have no idea about it". Pretty much the spectrum of threats and bullshit. I kinda just laugh because, that stuff dont work with me and really just brings out his true character.

I dont want to get a discharge for lying anywhere, what do you think I should do? If I went to another recruiter would I have to renegotiate my contract? I dont want to lose the Opt. 40, but I sure as hell dont want to risk losing the rest of my career over something he says "will be fine". Im supposed to ship May 31.
"It's not over till it's over."
Never quit!
"Get your mind straight... hundreds and thousands of reasons to quit... your goal is the ONE reason not to quit."
Ship date: 20110531
Worldweaver
Ranger

Re: Does this sound pretty shady to you guys?

Post by Worldweaver »

15 Posts in less than 2 days. :shock: "You guys"? I'm sure someone will be along shortly to square you away on the HONESTY and INTEGRITY issues you are having.
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08
Worldweaver
Ranger

Post by Worldweaver »

Nope, my mistake, 2 months :D
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Always do the right thing. If you're uncomfortable with it, then you should be, it's your adventure, don't fuck it up before it starts.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

cams wrote:Always do the right thing. If you're uncomfortable with it, then you should be, it's your adventure, don't fuck it up before it starts.
Amen!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

You need to be able to obtain a 'secret' security clearance. You need to be truthful, the event as you describe it is almost certain not to be a problem, but a lie about it will prove that you cannot be trusted, that you will put your personal self-interest ahead of the Regiment and the mission.
Now do twenty-five elevated pushups for that 'you guys' tag and remember: Your real character is is defined by what you do when no one can catch you.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Cdoc93
Embryo

Post by Cdoc93 »

Hooah Rangers, I apologize for the "you guys" statement. Ill start knockin them out.
Also, I didnt mean in any way for it to sound like I had honesty or integrity issues. I dont want to lie at all, but how should I go about fixing this problem? He wont push through the waiver, of course, if I need one. Should I talk to another recruiter now? or When I get to MEPs/Reception bring it up with them? If its not big deal surely I will just have to change some paperwork and wont get discharged right?.
He pulled the whole "the army isnt accepting any charge to do with drugs so dont say anything" But its not a conviction, so im pretty sure hes lying as a scare tactic to try and push me through.
Thank you for all the help Rangers, I appreciate the advice.
Never quit!
"Get your mind straight... hundreds and thousands of reasons to quit... your goal is the ONE reason not to quit."
Cdoc93
Embryo

Post by Cdoc93 »

Decide I would talk to another recruiter today so I called him up and he sounded like an honest one. He told me that basically my recruiter was just being lazy and the reason hes wanting me to keep my mouth shut is because he doesnt have the paperwork in the system. He probably doesnt want to do the extra work, but doesnt want a dep loss. He told me that I should confront my recruiter and tell him I want this done the right way. He also said that because there was no adverse disposition im good to go, I just need to make sure the paperwork is in the system and when i bring it up at reception they wont do anything. If all else fails and my recruiter wont listen, he said to just go up the chain of command until I get what I want and if I still dont I could cancel my contract and enlist through him and do it the right way, the only thing is I may not get the same contract. Id rather do things the right way. Ill go through my recruiter first and talk to him but if I dont get what I want then ill drop it and go through the honest recruiter. The regiment will always be there, and Ill always strive for it, but I want to get there the right way.
Never quit!
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Understood. Good call on your part.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

K.Ingraham wrote:Understood. Good call on your part.
Agreed and the Honest Recruiter actually told you the truth based on your story here. Good luck to you.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”