Army Deploys First GPS-Guided Mortars

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Army Deploys First GPS-Guided Mortars

Post by C-MAC »

Precision guided munitions have completely altered the face of warfare, but the humble mortar has remained virtually unchanged for decades, lobbing explosive rounds at a faraway enemy with a relatively high degree of inaccuracy.

Finally, the U.S. army is giving this this infantry workhorse a 21st-century update, fielding GPS-guided mortar rounds for the first time.
Read More;http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/ ... test=faces
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: Army Deploys First GPS-Guided Mortars

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not.

In Vietnam my platoon was subjected to 4.2 mortar fire from our Bn Mortar platoon on three different occasions; twice as H&I and once as counter battery fire. Thank God they didn't have anything but the old type fuses; the rounds penetrated into the ground and then blew up, they didn't have the quick fuse for the 4.2 at that time.

Hopefully they keep better track of all friendly forces now.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Skynet is one step closer to sentience.....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

"the APMI is expected to hit within about 30 feet of a target at least half the time,"

What is the blast radius of a 120MM round?
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

35m
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Buzz
Ranger

Post by Buzz »

Buzz wrote:"the APMI is expected to hit within about 30 feet of a target at least half the time,"

What is the blast radius of a 120MM round?
Baseplate wrote:35m
So 50% of the time the first round out will land on target.
2nd squad-1st plt-C 2/75 77-78
RS 4-78

The way I became a Ranger and have earned the small amount of success I have had in life has been mostly due to one quality - determination. Lefty.

Return to “Weapons of War”