SITREP-Bill

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
bill_d
Future Soldier

SITREP-Bill

Post by bill_d »

Projected for Thursday visit to MEP's for Airborne physical.

Recruiter seems supportive of the intent to renegotiate for Airborne in my contract, said passing the physical is the first step in the process.
I will inform on the results.
bill_d
Future Soldier

Re: SITREP-Bill

Post by bill_d »

First a little background: I was initially disqualified in back in November during the process for the full physical with and was given a "3" for eyes on the . AR 40-501, section 2-12, e - 4; "current or history of detachment of the retina:. I was hit in the eye during high school and needed surgery to repair a small tear in the back of my right eye. I went ahead and enlisted 68W. Several weeks later, after a consult with an opthalmologist who recommended a waiver, my waiver was approved and the "3" upgraded to a "2".

When I went for the airborne physical today, the MEP's doctor saw that I had recieved a "3" initially and wanted to talk with the eye doctor who did my consult to make sure my eye would be okay for airborne, even though I explained and showed that it had been waivered to a "2". 8 hours later, they got hold of the consult doctor who then said it was fine and recommended my approval. The MEPs doctor then decided to start my physical.
However when the MEPs doctor began going down the list on the paperwork, near the top of the list it mentions that for airborne I must not have any DQ's under 40-501 Chapter 2. The doctor said that even though I had gotten a waiver approving the change to a "2" for eyes, the fact that I had gotten a "3" initially rules out airborne. I asked about making an exception for me but was told to take any requests to the Army.

So I went down to the Army liaison office to discuss this issue and was told that even though I could not get the Airborne physical done now, I could still get the airborne phys done when I'm actually in the army and "they've seen that you're okay and can do everything just fine," volunteer for airborne school and thus RASP during BCT and AIT (respectively). My recruiter corroborated this.

Any truth to what I have been told?
bill_d
Future Soldier

Post by bill_d »

Found the answer to my own question thanks to the wonderful resource that is this message board...
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=54751" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will earn my shot at RASP by being the top recruit in my BCT class and the best student at AIT.
bill_d
Future Soldier

Post by bill_d »

Rangers,

Short update 3 weeks from ship.
Took an "official" APFT with the recruiter this morning.
Results:
78 - P/U
84 - S/U
13:10 - 2 mile run
= 297
Also tested myself on pull ups during Saturday PT -- 16 dead hangs.
Last 5 mile run a couple weeks ago -- 38:45 minutes.
I have not attempted a 12 mile ruck yet, but I know this is my weakest area.

I need to break 300 before I ship.

Return to “Recruitment Process”