Introduction - Blair

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Blair117
Future Soldier / Opt40

Introduction - Blair

Post by Blair117 »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Blair, I'm 20 years old. I come from a military family. My grandfather served in the Korean War as an 11C in the Army, my father served in the Navy and took part in the Iranian hostage attempt. Both are VFWs. I also have dozens of relatives on both sides of my family currently serving or have served various branches of the military.
Since I could remember I have always had a great interest in the Army and to serve my country. I graduated high school in 2009 with honors and took a year off to see what the real world was like. Since then I have come to realize that working a 9 to 5 job is not for me, nor is college. I want something fulfilling and challenging. I want to be taken out of my comfort zone and pushed beyond what I think I can do. I want to join the Army to be an Army Ranger and will except nothing less.
I started the recruitment process early January and attended MEPS the same week I first contacted my recruiter, who served in the 2/75th. I passed the ASVAB with a score of 71 and a GT score of 112. I passed my physical and walked out of MEPS without a job. I feel as if my recruiter is giving me a bunch of BS and is really pushing me to enlist as 11x or 18x with the claim that he will get me an option 40 before my ship date. He kept on reassuring me that he is 100% sure he can get it for me. I don't believe a word of it. He also said that it is pretty much impossible for people to get option 40's on the west coast and that I am much more likely to receive a slot during OSUT. I have no idea what to do at the moment.

I look forward to learning as much as I can on this site, Thank you.

Blair
Ship Date: 20110913
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - Blair

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome, tell your recruiter without the Opt 40 contact in front of you, you will not sign.

You say you graduated H.S. with honors, what does that mean.

When you used the word except, accept would have been the correct word to use - and this made me wonder about your honors.
Use your googlefu to see the definitions of these two words I have underlined.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Blair117
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Blair117 »

Thank you for the advice and the correction Ranger Steadfast. I had one of top accumulative grade point averages in my graduating class.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

being on the west coast has nothing to do with it, but he's correct in the statement that there aren't a whole lot of opt. 40's floating around. If I were your recruiter, I would say you have two options: wait an undetermined amount of time on the hope of an opt. 40 becoming available and your recruiter being in the right place at the right time to get it, or enlist with out it and do the work to earn your slot in OSUT. It's up to you what you want to do. Your recruiter isn't going to be the determining factor in whether you become a Ranger or not.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Blair117
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Blair117 »

Roger that Ranger goon175.
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Post by Mata Leao »

Blair117,

I have been in your situation and found these threads to be exceptionally helpful. I followed the advice and got everything I wanted. I hope they can do something for you also:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=52294" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=22346" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck on your Option 40!

-Mata Leao
Ship date: 20110418
Mentor: Hakweergr

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail!
Blair117
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Blair117 »

Thank you Mata Leao, the provided links have been immensely helpful. I'm still holding out for an opt 40. I'll post the results of a self administered PT here in a couple of days.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Blair117 wrote:Thank you Mata Leao, the provided links have been immensely helpful. I'm still holding out for an opt 40. I'll post the results of a self administered PT here in a couple of days.
Well, Blair, as you are going to post the results of your self-adminintered PT test, I'll just say "Welcome...."

Mata Leao, that message should have gone as a PM. Thank you very much.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Mata Leao
Inprocessing

Post by Mata Leao »

Roger, Ranger Jim.
Ship date: 20110418
Mentor: Hakweergr

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail!
Blair117
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Blair117 »

Pt test results as of 3/5/2011

Push ups - 60
Sit ups - 86
2 mile rune - 16:00

I am extremely disappointed with these numbers and I will bust my ass from now on to improve my scores.

Return to “Introduction Archive”