Workout Routine

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
BigboyBob
Tadpole

Workout Routine

Post by BigboyBob »

Rangers,

Posted this in the Minor Mayhem thread but not much of a response so reposting here.

Here is a workout routine that I will be starting next Monday. I'll also be conducting an APFT on that day, I'll keep y'all posted on that as well.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... utput=html

The routine is similar to Military Athlete's 6-week APFT plan, but the cardio is a bit more intense and more of a mishmash from multiple sources.

Just posting it to see what y'all think, or if y'all have any suggestions. Perhaps I should add to the strength training, or perhaps the cardio. I'm pretty much asking anyone with any expertise on the matter and open to anything. Just wanting to hear some outside opinions.

Thanks Rangers,

Bobby
Mentee to Ranger Invictus

"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
-Socrates

Ship Date: 20110104
BigboyBob
Tadpole

Re: Workout Routine

Post by BigboyBob »

Rangers,

20100809 APFT Results:

Push-ups: 81
Sit-ups: 77
2-mile: 14:12
Pull-ups: 14

-Niccolo Machiavelli

-Socrates

Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

My initial thought is that running everyday may be a bit too much, especially starting out. Personally, unless I was forced to, I would not run more than three times a week. I think more than that, and you expose yourself to greater possiblity for running related injuries.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
BigboyBob
Tadpole

Post by BigboyBob »

Ranger Bill wrote:My initial thought is that running everyday may be a bit too much, especially starting out. Personally, unless I was forced to, I would not run more than three times a week. I think more than that, and you expose yourself to greater possiblity for running related injuries.
Ranger Bill,

I agree with your philosophy. What I did basically was break up my cardio into high intensity and low intensity days. I'm only doing high intensity exercises 3x a week, and doing low intensity in between. On the low intensity days I'm not running maximum effort, but running (or swimming) relatively slowly. That way I allow my legs to recover while still getting a decent amount of mileage in during the week. That way I'm not exposing myself to the risk of overtraining and injuries. Also, if I'm not feeling well or I'm sore, I'm not going to run and risk hurting myself in the long run. Essentially its just a guideline that I'll try to follow, but in the end its flexible and up to the how I'm feeling on any given day. If its any consolation, I've always been a pretty injury resistant kind of guy, and in many ways its luck but I think also a bit of physiology and genetics (Thanks Mom and Dad!).

Also, the link to my workout routine will update as I fill it in. So it will be possible to see my progress as time goes on. That way I'm accountable to all the Rangers on this site, but ultimately myself which is the most important part in truth.

Ranger Bill, thank you for the response and I'll take your advice and will not risk overtraining or injuring myself.

-Niccolo Machiavelli

-Socrates

gillieman03
Embryo

Post by gillieman03 »

Hey man I am also currently doing this workout as well. How are the results so far turning out for you? I too switched up the cardio a bit, kept it just as intense but only limited interval training to only once a week. I also added in some strength training, go look up some crossfit workouts with low reps but a shit ton of sets and use a weighted vest or backpack, works wonders.
BigboyBob
Tadpole

Post by BigboyBob »

20101014 APFT Results:

79 push-ups
85 sit-ups
14:22 2-mile (sprained ankle sidelined me for ~3 weeks, first time to run was on Monday and Tuesday)
17 pull-ups

New PT plan:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key ... utput=html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A bit more simple. Since I have my push-ups and sit-ups down thats no longer a concern and now whatever I do is simply maintence.

Cardio wise, I set it up to where I do not run on consecutive days by swimming, doing the yoga x of the p90x videos, or simply resting in between the run days. Those run days include 2 run workouts focused on improving speed, and 1 long distance run of 5-mile length to obviously get me ready for that aspect of becoming a Ranger. There's not much of a better cardiovascular exercise than swimming, and since I'm not exactly a great swimmer, it doubles as not just excellent exercise, but a way to improve a personal deficiency. And the Yoga X is a way to recover midweek while at the same time vastly improving my overall flexibility. Lame and homo? Absolutely. Helpful? Even more so.

Will be starting this PT routine next Monday. Looking forward to running a sub 13:00 2-mile by the end of this routine which would then allow me to score on the extended APFT scale.

-Niccolo Machiavelli

-Socrates

Return to “About Army Physical Training”