MD's on the five-yard-line

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Dando175
Ranger

MD's on the five-yard-line

Post by Dando175 »

Hey guys... I'm pursuing a career in Emergency medicine but I really don't want to work in a typical civillian ER, treating sick people all day. I love ballistic trauma and I want to spend my life working as a doctor in a tactical capacity. There are a lot of MD positions that come close to this but I actually want to carry a weapon and run around in the field alongside likeminded hoahs at the same time. Moreover, I want to offer my skills to the people I truly respect- those who bear arms to protect freedom, at home and abroad.

Has anybody heard of any jobs like these, either in the military of civillian sector; where a full-fledged MD is DIRECTLY involved in tactical operations?

Doc, I'd especially like to hear what you think about this. I've been looking ALL OVER the place. I even talked to the Emergency Medicine advisor to the Surgeon General and he said I'm out of luck because military and law enforcement doctrine dictates that MD's are too valuable to risk losing in a firefight. F*ck that. Just because I'm going to be a doctor doesn't mean I'm going to pussy out when two-way live-fire kicks off. Get me in the fight, man! ;-)
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

Thanks Doc. I'd appreciate any more info you happen to come across
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

I'm sure you're also aware, Dando, that there is a need for Docs, PAs, and Medics with SpecOps experience in the world of civilian contracting (BlackWater, Triple Canopy, Custer Battles, etc). I have a friend who is a trauma PA in Houston. He was offered the head medical position for one of the above companies and is currently raking in mucho dinero in Baghdad.

Once your foot is in the door, there are special missions that pop up from time to time with DEA and other agencies. They might have a semi-military type mission in S. America, for example, and need a jump-qualified Doc, who know how to insert lead projectiles, as well as IVs. :wink:

How much time do you still have to finish your schooling....or are you still just considering it?

RLTW
EP
Last edited by Earthpig on July 17th, 2004, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

Thanks EP. I'm going to look up those names and see what comes up. I've finished my 2nd out of 4 years as an undergrad and I should be applying to med schools in 2005 or 2006.
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
ertdoc222
Embryo

Post by ertdoc222 »

Dando175 I have never heard of a PA or MD accompanying a ERT or SERT Team in the State of GA, but that doesn't mean it isn'y happening, especially in the larger cities like Atlanta and Savannah. Being a ERT doc myself with my agency near Savannah and having some good contacts there, I'll contact Savannah / Chatham PD and see what they call for. If possible and work allows I'll get ahold of Atlanta for you. Good Lucvk with you schooling.
Hard Pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking.
--Ferdinand Foch--at the battle of the Marne

Return to “Medical Issues”