Which Weapons Are Allowed?

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Headoutdaplane
Ranger

Re: Which Weapons Are Allowed?

Post by Headoutdaplane »

So the answer is? Can guys in Regiment carry personal weapons? we were allowed to, and there was some crazy shit brought out on alerts ie tazer, pistol sized cross bow, and sawed off shotguns.
Headoutdaplane
Hardrock 1/75 '83-'86
Class 2-85
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

We were told specifically that we could NOT bring personal pea shooters to Panama. I had a Ruger GP100 that really wanted a combat jump.

Another thing that pissed me off was that we were told we could NOT take weapons as war trophies. We found an assload of fun bang-bang toys in La Commandancia. I found out after the fact that we actually could have taken them, and then had them "processed" by ATF after the fact. Too bad, Manuel & his cronies had a fine selection.....
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

A good way to get RFSed was to bring you own gun with you over seas. Another way is to get caught with an AK in your D-Bag when they check your shit on the way home
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

RangerX wrote:We were told specifically that we could NOT bring personal pea shooters to Panama. I had a Ruger GP100 that really wanted a combat jump.

Another thing that pissed me off was that we were told we could NOT take weapons as war trophies. We found an assload of fun bang-bang toys in La Commandancia. I found out after the fact that we actually could have taken them, and then had them "processed" by ATF after the fact. Too bad, Manuel & his cronies had a fine selection.....
No shit...we filled, unfilled, re filled, and then unfilled our squad box 4 times at Rio Hato....no one told us there was a legit tag we could put on the weapons...and then the threat of wrath on the way out....well, lets just say there is a woodline next to a hangar that I KNOW has two Browning Hi-Powers, consecutive numbers, with PDF insignia stamped on the top of the slide, never been fired, rotting for almost 20 years....and they never even checked the rucks....dogs went through for drugs.....and that was the end of it......Ooops!!!!!

(and I bet there is quite a bit more than that out there.......) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
TexMed
Egg

Post by TexMed »

So is the sidearm you are issued still an M9?
No chance to step up to a .45?

Had a "gangsta" come in to the hospital a few months back. He'd been shot 7 times. Twice in the head.
3 guys jumped him at close range. One had a .22, one a .45 and another a 9mm. 2 shots to the back of the head with a 9mm and the bullets just zipped around the outside of his skull. No penetration. Left him with a nasty looking scar but it didn't do anything otherwise. The .22 hit him in the back and messed some things up internally but, the .45 went through one of his quadriceps, the bullet did not touch the bone but it hit the muscle with enough force to shatter the femur. The guy lived.

Being forced to carry an M9 as a backup would suck should you ever find yourself needing it, I'd almost rather carry a bag of rocks and a slingshot.

I've asked about what weapons I could use and have gotten sorted answers from everyone. I was told you have to use what your given and I've been told you can buy aftermarket parts for your M4 and get permission to pick a sidearm.
A friend of mine that went SF carries a Glock model 18 and a modified M4. He said you just have to ask. If I'm forced to carry a 9mm I'd prefer to have a model 18 option. The Baretta just seems like a rickety piece O shit to start with.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Oto-Man wrote:
Hung Low wrote:I'm a purist. I'd want my old CAR-15 back. Open sights, standard forestock.
Ditto...

And for CQB...tell em you want and "old school" MP-5....They'll get the picture and realize you are a REAL Operator....and they will get you what you need!!!! That's how it is done in today's Army..."ask and receive"....it's the next best thing to "don't ask don't tell" (Spelling by Puck)
Hey, I like the MP5. I wasn't an operator because AT&T wasn't hiring Rangers, but I did like the SD version. It had its uses, and for JCT it was light. Came in handy as you are running your ass down the airfield, trying to clear it in less than 15 minutes. Do the modern crop of Rangers even know what JCT is, or has it become the same as landing in a glider?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Man, I wish I'd had the opportunity to play with the MP5s when I was in. timing was always shitty though. I asked for one when we jumped in to Panama, but no dice.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

I seriously traded an 8mm pistol we got off an AIF in Bagdad for an "off the books" MP5 from a guy that doesn't really exist. At least that is what they told us when he walked off.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

During the invasion in 2003, we could carry whatever we found. I had a sawed off double barrel next to the seat in my Humvee, and I carried a Browning Hi-Power stuck in the front of my IBA. The next tour they wouldn't let us do that anymore. :twisted:
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

We had our "Official Army Issued" weapons locked up in a conex & would carry anything that we wanted or that the team could use to the field. I carried a m14 w/scope & a .38 or chopped down thumper as backup.
But things have changed alot, I guess that was a different war & a different Army back then.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

mortar_guy78 wrote:During the invasion in 2003, we could carry whatever we found. I had a sawed off double barrel next to the seat in my Humvee, and I carried a Browning Hi-Power stuck in the front of my IBA. The next tour they wouldn't let us do that anymore. :twisted:
Back when there were few rules at the beginning of OIF I saw (and got to shoot) about every cool weapon from the Eastern Bloc as well as some other countries that I could think of. We found gold-plated MP5s, nickel-plated AKs, PKMs, RPKs, Makarov and Tokarev pistols and my crowning achievement--a Dragunov sniper rifle with scope still in the grease paper. We were clearing out this boys school in Hillah and it had this hidden arms room in it. We were like kids on Christmas morning. I had said Dragunov in my hands for about 10 seconds when the Bn Cdr came over and informed me that he would be confiscating it for the trophy case in the Battalion Conference Room....prick. Not that I thought I had a reasonable chance of getting it home, but I probably could have used it to barter somewhere in country. The fact that the Bn Cdr at the time was a doucherocket didn't help matters. PocketKings can back me up on that one.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
TexMed
Egg

Post by TexMed »

It seems to be up to the CO. Working around so many vets in the hospital while I wait in the DEP for my Medic Opt.40 slot to come up I bug as many people as I can with questions. When I've asked about carrying a .45 as my sidearm some guys say yes, Some guys say no.
I don't have an issue with the M4. I'd like to be able to change somethings about it to optimize it but, I can shoot a pretty tight group with the standard issue guns I've had the chance to fire. The M9 is just a hunk of junk and a semi-auto 9mm just doesn't have enough stopping power to be effective in my opinion.

Things do seem to change.
My grandfather was a Ranger and carried a pistol his father gave him in WW2 and brought back a few weapons as "war trophies". My dad carried a Remington Model 700 in Vietnam along with a sawed off shotgun and his M1911A1. He brought back a Nagant M1895 and CZ 52 as trophies and says he knew people that mailed their m16's back home piece by piece. Now days it seems a bit different with the trophies.I know if I got a kill I'd want to take his weapon. They'd sure as hell take mine if they got a chance. I don't think I'd care to just grab one laying around and claim it as a trophy.

Return to “Weapons of War”