Went to retention today...

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Grunt11B
Embryo

Went to retention today...

Post by Grunt11B »

Rangers,

Went to retention today to see about reenlisting for Ranger Regiment. As it says in my signature im a 11B20 in 2nd ID, I am also not tabbed. My retention NCO told me that her "system" says that the Regiment is not accepting 11B's so there is nothing she can do on her end untill the "system" shows that there are slots available. I tried emailing the LNO using the email from the Regiments recruitment site and i got a error saying message was undeliverable. At any rate im going to be calling the number tommorow.

One option that I do have is the normal stabilization reenlistment 3 years, and my PLT SGT said he will do everything he can to send me to Ranger school and then we can go from there ( as in he will try every route posible for me to get into ROP or RASP apon completion of Ranger School, I say ROP or RASP because I will be sent to the SSG board when i get back from my current deployment)

I will see what the 75th LNO says tommrow and post whats going to happen next. After reading the boards and posts, it seems that if I get the chance to go to Ranger School before getting into Regiment I should defanitly go for it first. I know there are individuals who have came over to the Regiment as SSG with Tabs, I know it can be done, i know i will have to bust my ass extra hard, but it doesnt matter what it takes. This is where im supposed to be. Any input on my current situation would be greatly appricated.

Very Respectfully
SGT Murphy
SGT USA INF 2006-Present
OEF 2007-2008
OIF 2009-2010
“There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.â€
Ndog275
Ranger

Re: Went to retention today...

Post by Ndog275 »

https://www.benning.army.mil/75thranger ... uiting.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'm just a dude who used to be a dude who's a dude trolling around on the internet, but that web site says they're recruiting. I'd say the re up NCO has some "radio plumber" slot she has to get rid of first. If I were a betting man, I'd say once push comes to shove a "slot" will be available in her "system".

Where's home station for you?
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

I will see what the 75th LNO says tommrow
I would recommend you deal directly with the Regimental recruiting dudes primarily, as they may have options that are not available to your unit re-up dude.

I would also highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend that you re-up for an airborne assignment at a minimum, and get the hell out of dirty nasty leg central. There are good and bad in every unit, however, there is a higher percentage of good dudes in volunteer units as opposed to non-volunteer units, they are generally fitter, and more focused on Soldiers as opposed to equipment.

Jump units generally provide more opportunities for schools as well. They always need Jumpmasters, and Ranger school is taken much more seriously. It seems the only school that has any priority in leg land is master gunner....which means that upon graduation, the graduate has a better than average chance of getting stuck working with some Company commander, if he's lucky, OR getting sent to work with some jack ass in a BDE or DIV HQ. Bottom line, they tend to be anchored to a tracked vehicle...

That doesn't sound like the kind of duty you would be best suited for imo...

So my advice would be as follows:

1. Work with Regiment to earn a RASP slot.
2. Get a jump slot in one of the Airborne Infantry units.
3. Try out for S.F.

Good luck bud.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

. wrote:Go to SFAS.

Just don't end up in the "First in Asia".
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

If you take a Ranger School slot or any other school from your current unit, you will be locking yourself in there for at least a year. Talk to the 75th Recruiters directly or put in your SFAS packet.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater

Return to “Recruitment Process”