Building leg strength?

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Building leg strength?

Post by NeverSayDie »

Rangers,

I'm looking to build my lower body, particularly the legs and lower back. I have been doing plenty of mountain climbers and squat thrusts, but I'm seeing little results, I think I have platued or something. I want to be able spring across the track/ground/mudhole/whatever the RI's cook up.

any suggestions?
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Re: Building leg strength?

Post by Ranger Bill »

Get hold of some iron. Squats, deadlifts, back extensions, leg press, lunges, calf raises, leg curls.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

The # 1 Leg Exercise (take my word for it, builds functional strength, works entire leg, aids dramatically with flexibility and endurance) is the "Walking Lunge". I discovered these during my year long train up for the "long walk". This combined with normal running and a good stair climber had me darting up hill like a gazelle (back in the day of course :roll: ).To start, length of the football field for 5 or 6 reps (down and back is one). Then as you progress start to add weight add weight (carry dumbbells, kettlebells, etc.). I see wimpy types doing these in the gym, usually ladies. To test your Ranger manhood try doing it with a 45 lb. plate in each hand ( :wink: ). Remember to go for a really good stretch with each rep and the main key - DO NOT touch your knee to the ground, come close, but don't touch and do not bounce. Good controlled reps and slow is better. If you have never done these you will see that its pretty tough!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

Colt,

Lifting 45# in each hand is enough of a challenge for me right now. ;)

NeverSayDie,

If you want to be fast, do some uphill sprints. Get yourself a airsoft 'combat vest' for 20$ off of any website and fill it with rocks and metal. then sprint uphill some more. Go rucking at as fast as you can over mountainous terrain, assuming it is available to you, rather than flat land. all of these will make you faster. You should also conduct a Fartlek run at least once a week.

Best of luck, Shock
אל תהי בז לכל אדם, ואל תהי מפליג לכל דבר, שאין לך אדם שאין לו שעה, ואין לך דבר שאין לו מקום
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Go with the pros. Military Athlete is a pay site but it's about the best thing next to a one on one personal trainer. There are about a million ways to increase strength. You could sit here for a month and get contradictory advice. There is no single right way and plenty of wrong ways to do it. Crossfit is good for a free, open source conditioning program. All you have to do is google crossfit (or crossfit endurance for more running/swimming/biking specific conditioning).
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

The Holmchicken wrote:Go with the pros. Military Athlete is a pay site but it's about the best thing next to a one on one personal trainer. There are about a million ways to increase strength. You could sit here for a month and get contradictory advice. There is no single right way and plenty of wrong ways to do it. Crossfit is good for a free, open source conditioning program. All you have to do is google crossfit (or crossfit endurance for more running/swimming/biking specific conditioning).

Military Athlete is a heck of a resource. Although it pains me to admit it :oops: , Sealfit.com is also a good free resource.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

Ndog275 wrote:
The Holmchicken wrote:Go with the pros. Military Athlete is a pay site but it's about the best thing next to a one on one personal trainer. There are about a million ways to increase strength. You could sit here for a month and get contradictory advice. There is no single right way and plenty of wrong ways to do it. Crossfit is good for a free, open source conditioning program. All you have to do is google crossfit (or crossfit endurance for more running/swimming/biking specific conditioning).

Military Athlete is a heck of a resource. Although it pains me to admit it :oops: , Sealfit.com is also a good free resource.

SEALs may be or not be a lot of things but they're definitely fit. I've used this SEAL program when coming off of injury, suck schools, etc. to get back into form for things like crossfit and MA.

SEAL Cat I and II Programs
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA

Return to “About Army Physical Training”