Ranger Assault Carrying Kit

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
Fuchs

Ranger Assault Carrying Kit

Post by Fuchs »

Some advantages of the RACK (which is a flexible chest-rig) are generally clear - like being able to wear a large pack with a wide hip belt comfortably (which is also possible with some vests).

What do you think of your RACK, how did it perform in Afghanistan, would some of you rather have a vest, for instance in order to have more space for further equipment/grenades etc.?

The MOLLE/MOLLE II showed quality problems in AFG - were there any problems with the RACK, too? What do you think of the MOLLE-attachment system?

Is it a problem for you that some pouches ride up quite high on the chest, as much as changing magazines under stress is concerned?
The_Australian
Embryo

Post by The_Australian »

I have a R.A.C.K, and i can say, it is a great piece of kit.
There are only a few problems that I have encountered with this piece of equipment... which are nothing big or really worth complaining about, but here goes:
I find that the R.A.C.K tends to heat up quickly and hold it in making it very hot quickly.
One other thing is the configuration of the shoulder straps, the cross over I find holds weight better while the other config (the strap stays on its side) is much easier to get on and off. A fair trade off i spose.

Did the army test this equipment over a long period before choosing it as a contract product?
"where none have tried... None have succeeded"
RgrPantel
Ranger

Post by RgrPantel »

If you are looking at buying your own personal "rack", I recommend the version made by Tactical Tailor. We used 'em when I was in before the official "RACK" came out. It's a sturdy design, durable, and best of all (relatively) affordable. For about $170 you can get a complete T. T. version vs. $350-$400 for Blackhawk industries rack. They have basically the same warrenty and use MOLLE fastening system. The main difference is that the official Racks have a flip up panel that hardly gets used anyway.
2nd Bn 96-00 C Co. 2nd plt., class 4-99
We're here, we need to get there; kill everything in between.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

R.A.C.K.

Post by The Holmchicken »

The first RACKs were not called RACKs at all. RgrPantel might remember in early '98 seeing a few guys from Aco 2/75 wearing chest harness' that looked kind of like RACKs. These first ones were designed by the Aco 3rd Plt (Earthpigs) PLT SGT. He designed them, with the help of some of his squad leaders', after a piece of kit that CAG had been using for a while. Simply put, they looked like AK pouches you see the VC wearing in all the Vietnam War movies. I was in 3rd Plt when at the time the materials were purchased and if I remember correctly, some of the guys in the platoon sewed them up on the sewing machine in the Aco supply room. These early RACKs were one piece, as MOLLE had never been heard of (at least by us) at the time. They consisted of four main pouches that carried two mags a piece, two utility pouches for your push brush, oil, eyepro, etc. and two small compass/first aid pouches. The straps were really thin, about half of an inch wide and there was the one back strap. Some of the RACKs were different, as some held the 100 round, soft SAW pouches, some had the shotgun shell loops on the mag pouches and some had smaller pouches (on the mag pouches) for carrying 40mm rounds. There were about ten of us who jumped the RACKs for the very first time during this time frame. The jumpmaster looked at me like I had a dick growing out of my forehead when he went to JMPI for the first time. But we figured it out and the jump went off without a hitch. Tactical Tailor in Tillicum started cranking out chest harness' that were identical to the ones 3rd Plt had, but with some improvements (wider straps ets.). 3rd Plt wore them during EIB in '98 and kept using them until the Regiment went to the MOLLE RACK. The MOLLE RACK is a really good piece of kit, really comfy, but I will always look back with fondness at the original RACK.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Post by The Holmchicken »

LOL! good one
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
Fuchs

Post by Fuchs »

@The Holmchicken:
A late "thank you" for your reply on that. Disn't visit this site for quite a while.

Do some of the Rangers still wear other pieces of carrying equipment? Sounds as if the RACK fulfilled all needs you have.
I think of the HSGI Denali chest-rig, for instance. Any experience here?
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Hey Fuchs! WTF are you doing? How are people in Germany reacting to the US taking possession of that shitbag murderer?
Fuchs

Post by Fuchs »

Hello. Ia m a ******* 1LT now.

The reactions here are that the people are somehow relieved, I guess. Congratulations, I think not many ever expected him to be found. Whether the war was legitimated and the right thing or not, Saddam was a cruel dictator, and he'll get what he deserves.

The imagination of Saddam in that earthhole is just hilarious, and has been the material of many TV comedians and show masters over here. I guess in the States too.

Do you think I'd rather get some answers to issues concerning personal equipment in other forums (infantry forums or whatever)?
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Where's the Holmchicken?

I'd love to see some pics of those early rigs.

And what the hell is a "push brush"? The shaving cream brushes everyone had in basic?
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

You know coldnuts I was just starting to not dislike your outfit so much. But a 2300 dollar vest, I have to say you can put a price tag on a life, mine is rated at 400 bucks or so for that shit vest I got and maybe 350-400(guessing here) on that fucked up inaccurate POS berretta.
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

AZRanger, you on a BP SRT?

Got a link and/or pic for your vest?

Jim
Fuchs

Post by Fuchs »

@AZRanger1: Thanks, sounds like a very advanced system. (And I thought the GSG9-Vest for almost 900bugs was expensive. That's just the equipment vest though, without any body armour.) The full integration of the rappelling equipment and the body armour into the system is an interesting approach if it is well solved.

Return to “Personal Gear”