Shipping out on 6 July

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Shipping out on 6 July

Post by oneday_I_will »

Good Day Rangers And All,
I have not posted here for a while but I just wanted to say thanks to all of you. During the time I didn't post I was very busy on this forum and the Quiet Professionals forum READING. New guys, take note...READ READ READ the forums. 99.9% of all questions have been ANSWERED by the Rangers somewhere here. So, I was busy putting into practice the advice given by all that have gone before me. I spent alot of time rucking in ACU's with a 45 pound pack working up to 12 miles in the given time of three hours. (2 hrs. and 50 min. to be exact) I would run 6-8 miles on the off days of rucking. And I pushed my self at the gym relentlessly. Pull ups, pull ups, and more pull ups. Push ups and push ups, and so it goes. I bring this up so that I can get to the main point. Here it is. The physical side of this is about 10% in my humble opinion. The whole time I was rucking, etc., there were moments when my mind would start screaming..."just quit, this is ONLY training". "It will feel better if you just take off that pack and stop". And there it was...THAT "quit" word. And for someone approaching 40 on 2 July, one might think that it would be far easier. Maybe...maybe not. But then I thought to myself..."this is what you wanted right"..."didn't you convince the recruiters that you can do it". And then another powerful phrase came into my mind..."DO NOT FEEL SORRY FOR YOURSELF"!!! And even though I was alone on a highway rucking with passing cars just staring at this wierdo shuffling along in ACU's...I found out that this IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT! This may sound corny to some...but for me...I chose to hear phrases like..."not for the weak or the faint of heart". From my SF mentor I heard simply..."do your best". And from myself I heard "stop being a pussy and move the fuck out smartly". Finally and most importantly...I saw unknown faces of men that had gone before and were feeling that same ache BUT STILL continued. I know that rucking on ones' own and running alone isn't the same as having a whole cadre breathing down your neck. But I won't be doing this alone. I will have others feeling just like me...a team...driving each other on. The phrases "never never quit", and "do your best candidate" are not just words. They are two small phrases with great implications. They are literal cornerstones for a few that have their eye on a cloth tab that for those few who do succeed is the pinnacle of preparation, motivation, and dedication to an idea that is within each of them bringing those words to life. Livng words. So...the question is this...will I succeed? My only answer....cast or tab. Or at my age...casket or tab. This post will be updated as time and training in the future permits. Oneday out.
Company C/5th Battalion/19th SF Group (NQP) 2010-
309th FS Homestead AFB 90-92
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
65th Air Wing Lajes Fld. 95-96
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

"I will conquer my fears and succeed".
U.S. Special Forces Creed
Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Shipping out on 6 July

Post by Earthpig »

Good luck! Let us know how things are going for you.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Re: Shipping out on 6 July

Post by oneday_I_will »

Ranger EarthPig,
Will do.
Company C/5th Battalion/19th SF Group (NQP) 2010-
309th FS Homestead AFB 90-92
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95