Question about promotion and Ranger School

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
G.G
Embryo

Question about promotion and Ranger School

Post by G.G »

Rangers, I have a question that I was hoping some of you could shed some light on. It is my understanding that as a college graduate a recruit is able to enlist at the E-4 level. I have also read that in order to serve in a leadership role as an NCO in the Regiment it is a prerequisite that you have already graduated Ranger School. My question is if a college graduate enlists as an E-4, then completes RASP, and earns a spot in the Regiment would the E-4 be given the opportunity to attend Ranger School fairly soon thereafter seeing as he would have to earn his Tab in order to be promoted to E-5?
"Mediocrity is self-inflicted; greatness is self-bestowed." - Walter Russell
rgrwest
Ranger

Re: Question about promotion and Ranger School

Post by rgrwest »

Stud you have to have (minimum) 18 months of service to attend the Sergeants Board. Don't get ahead of yourself skippy. You have to enlist, graduate BCT, AIT and Airborne, then attend and complete RASP. So do that first, then work on getting SGT and becoming a leader. Hooah?
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

E-4 or not you will still be a private
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
G.G
Embryo

Post by G.G »

Ranger rgrwest, Hooah. Re-focusing on my first obstacle, enlistment. I was unaware of how long an E-4 would need to be in-service to come up for promotion, thank you for the info.

Ranger Basesplate, that's a perspective I didn't see at first. Roger that.
"Mediocrity is self-inflicted; greatness is self-bestowed." - Walter Russell

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”