Booted for Ink...

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Moni D

Booted for Ink...

Post by Moni D »

A Queens NY man was booted from basic training for having too many tatoos... the tatoos cover 70% of his arms.

His recruiter(s?) told him they wouldn't pose a problem.

Apparently all his other qualifications were fine
Dylinger44
United States Marine

Post by Dylinger44 »

How did he make it through MEPS?
Lance Criminal USMC
Moni D

Post by Moni D »

I'm not sure, Dylan...
I was searching for more info online, but can't find it. The CNN.com page was update at 0733 this am, so i might find more tomorrow. I heard it on CNN Headline News a few mins before I posted it...

I will check for more info tomorrow
RhodyOcs
Embryo

Post by RhodyOcs »

A kid that I went to highschool with had a similar problem, as he was covered with ink all over both arms, and his back. However, he never made it past meps, they wouldn't even let him take a physical. I have no problems with people getting inked up, I have one myself, but being covered in ink, especially where people can see it when you are wearing the uniform is a little excessive. I think that the military wants to have a little conformity in terms of appearence, and rightly so.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Extract of AR 670-1
~~~~~~~
e. Tattoo policy
(1) Tattoos or brands that are visible in a class A uniform (worn with slacks/trousers) are prohibited.
5 AR 670–1 • 5 September 2003
(2) Tattoos or brands that are extremist, indecent, sexist, or racist are prohibited, regardless of location on the body,
as they are prejudicial to good order and discipline within units.
(a) Extremist tattoos or brands are those affiliated with, depicting, or symbolizing extremist philosophies, organizations,
or activities. Extremist philosophies, organizations, and activities are those which advocate racial, gender or
ethnic hatred or intolerance; advocate, create, or engage in illegal discrimination based on race, color, gender, ethnicity,
religion, or national origin; or advocate violence or other unlawful means of depriving individual rights under the U.S.
Constitution, Federal, or State law (see para 4–12, AR 600–20).
(b) Indecent tattoos or brands are those that are grossly offensive to modesty, decency, or propriety; shock the moral
sense because of their vulgar, filthy, or disgusting nature or tendency to incite lustful thought; or tend reasonably to
corrupt morals or incite libidinous thoughts.
(c) Sexist tattoos or brands are those that advocate a philosophy that degrades or demeans a person based on gender,
but that may not meet the same definition of “indecent.â€
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
DocDaigle

Rangers and Tattoo's

Post by DocDaigle »

I remember in 1994/1995 that some newspaper called the Rangers a racist unit due to the overwhelming number of caucassions in the BN's. Anyone with tats had to have them inspected by the 1SG and CO in each Company. I got signaled out because my Tattoo's are Irish in Nature and in Gaelic (Irish) and in Latin. They sent my ass all the way up to LTC Keen for inspection. The damm AG's office got all bitchy and they actually talked about booting me. Finally, Doc Donovan finds out, comes bardging into the meeting and says "Daigle, get the fuck out of here and get back to your fucking Aid Cage before I smoke your fucking ass". As I was leaving I hear Doc bitching out the AG and tell him to "leave my fucking Rangers the Fuck alone". From what Duke told me the BC and and my Co started laughing their asses off. Thus ended the tattoo inspections.

Doc
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

there are various levels at which the tatoos are inspected and approved.

they can go all the way to the 3 star level. and that is just to let someone join.

once they are in it's at the discretion of the commander of the unit.

actually, since this guy had his tatoos reviewed and approved, he has a legal case.

if he wants to be in that bad, he knows what he has to do.

we go to far over board with this shit IMO.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
Moni D

Post by Moni D »

Ranger Silverback- thank you for posting that. Not being military, I wasn't sure of the policy. I do agree with SFC hit_it in that if they were pre approved, or at least he was ok'd, it isn't fair to punish him fr it NOW... but that is just my (highly UNqualified .02)...

Thanks to everyone who offered input, btw.... :)
Red Manchu
Tadpole

Post by Red Manchu »

Thanks for the great post Ranger Silverback, I was thinking about asking a question when I saw your post-saved me a smoking. I don't suppose a Christian tatoo wouldn't be construed as extremist.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Moni D wrote: I do agree with SFC hit_it in that if they were pre approved, or at least he was ok'd, it isn't fair to punish him fr it NOW... but that is just my (highly UNqualified .02)...
First being seperated is not punishment. Being sentenced to 20 years of hard labor is punishment. As far as being "Pre-approved" is a whole different matter. Who is pre-approving them? Are those same number crunching, push a body forward Bureaucrats gonna' be held accountable if this soldier goes on a killing spree or whatever? No his Commander, First Sergeant, Platoon Sergeant, Platoon Leader and Squad Leader will be.

Remember the same people that "Pre-approved" the tattos are the people responsible for "Pre-approving" wanna-be soldiers for attendance to Basic Training. Of course when these civilians show up to Basic Training they can't always execute the number of push-ups required to start basic training. Which means that the Basic Training unit has to assign otherwise productive Drill Sergeants to Physical Training detachments to prep the pukes for basic.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Moni D

Post by Moni D »

Silverback wrote:First being seperated is not punishment. Being sentenced to 20 years of hard labor is punishment. As far as being "Pre-approved" is a whole different matter. Who is pre-approving them? Are those same number crunching, push a body forward Bureaucrats gonna' be held accountable if this soldier goes on a killing spree or whatever? No his Commander, First Sergeant, Platoon Sergeant, Platoon Leader and Squad Leader will be.

Remember the same people that "Pre-approved" the tattos are the people responsible for "Pre-approving" wanna-be soldiers for attendance to Basic Training. Of course when these civilians show up to Basic Training they can't always execute the number of push-ups required to start basic training. Which means that the Basic Training unit has to assign otherwise productive Drill Sergeants to Physical Training detachments to prep the pukes for basic.
Point made Ranger Silverback. thank you for helping me understand
the_machine
Tadpole

Post by the_machine »

Silverback wrote:Extract of AR 670-1
~~~~~~~
e. Tattoo policy
(1) Tattoos or brands that are visible in a class A uniform (worn with slacks/trousers) are prohibited.
5 AR 670–1 • 5 September 2003...

Thanks for the info Ranger Silverback. I have four tattoos myself, but none are even remotely racist, indecent or vulgar and you sure as hell can't see them when I'm in a suit.

btw... Mentor at large?
11-M(B co. 3/15 inf, 24th inf)

Why did I re-enlist?...the scenery changes, the pay is good and i get to play with dynamite.

Return to “Recruitment Process”