I DID IT!!

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

I DID IT!!

Post by oneday_I_will »

Good Evening Rangers, Active Duty Members, Vets, and Newbies,
On Wednesday, 5 May 2010, I enlisted into the TX National Gurad for an initial three years. This enlistment process seriously required a "NEVER QUIT" attitude. But due to this forum, researching this forum, and some well placed advice from Rangers here, I was able to obtain the contract that I wanted. I signed a Prior Service Special Forces Accension Option contract with Company C/5th Battalion/19th SF Group (A). Of course I need to go through ALL of the training and pass it successfully. I am in NO WAY an SF Soldier yet. And my actual "cubbyhole" unit is an Airborne unit in Texas. I have only signed the paper work stating that I have a chance to prove myself. I know that this path is going to cover almost the next two years of my life. My contract is basically the standard REP. 63 that non-prior service recruits enlist in. I ship out for warrior transition on 6 July 2010 to Ft. Sill, OK. I know that this is only the beginning, but what a beginning it shall be. I shall keep everyone posted as to my progress once I ship out. And remember...don't be late, don't be lite, don't be lost, and don't be last. Oneday out.
Company C/5th Battalion/19th SF Group (NQP) 2010-
309th FS Homestead AFB 90-92
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
65th Air Wing Lajes Fld. 95-96
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

"I will conquer my fears and succeed".
U.S. Special Forces Creed
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Re: I DID IT!!

Post by oneday_I_will »

Thank you Ranger Zonk
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Congratulations. Now all you have to do is work as hard as you did to get in.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Post by oneday_I_will »

Roger that Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds. I will never never quit. By the way Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds, I have been reading "About Face" by Col. David Hackworth (Ret.) He writes of one of his former units "The Wolfhounds". Were you a member of these most brave warriors?
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Congratulations. All you have to do now is to do it.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

oneday_I_will wrote:Roger that Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds. I will never never quit. By the way Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds, I have been reading "About Face" by Col. David Hackworth (Ret.) He writes of one of his former units "The Wolfhounds". Were you a member of these most brave warriors?
Same unit different war. Hackworth served with the Wolfhounds during the Korean War, as a matter of fact so did Lew Millett who led the last bayonet charge of any US force, he also established the Recondo School in Viet Nam. Both were very decorated soldiers.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Post by oneday_I_will »

Thank you Ranger Bill. I go forward knowing that soon I will be doing my best to achieve what many members on this forum have achieved. Every member on this forum and then some is my mojo to succeed.
Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds, thank you for sharing. I have just started the chapter where Col. Hackworth has been assigned to 1/18th in Germany. I read his other book, "Steel My Soldiers Hearts". I must say, I really admire his style. What a different Army, the Army of today that is, has become. And I will be experiencing it first hand. I truly feel 19 again with the benefit of 39 years. I will keep everyone posted.
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

KMANinTX
Embryo

Post by KMANinTX »

Btw....you will be in my WTC class at Sill. I leave July 6th as well. Also, there is only 1 ABN unit in TX and I'm in it. So I guess I might see you after too.

PM sent.
KMAN
Texas ARNG
E Co, 1/143D (Airborne), 36ID
USN ET2 (SW/AW) 94'-02'
KMANinTX
Embryo

Post by KMANinTX »

I appologize for reading/posting misinformation. My intent wasn't to upset people. It was directed at one person thinking he might be "attached" or something to my unit.

Here is what I meant.

LOOK TO THE SKY! 36 ID Stands up Airborne Infantry Battalion
Submitted by: CW3 Rodney Hammack

(name removed as contact name outdated)
Executive Officer, C. Co, 3-124 R&S

LOOK TO SKY! 36 ID Stands up Airborne Infantry Battalion

The rumors are true. The Texas Army National Guard is standing up an Airborne Infantry Battalion. The 1st Battalion, 143rd Infantry Regiment (Airborne) officially entered carrier status on September 1, 2009. The 143d Infantry Regiment last saw airborne service as G Co 143d Infantry (Long Range Surveillance) in 2001, and now the proud lineage of this regiment will be re-activated as the only Airborne Infantry Battalion in the Army National Guard. Like their active duty Army Airborne counterparts, the mission of the 1-143d IN will be capable of deploying world-wide to conduct Airborne forced entry operations into an objective in order to seize and hold terrain.

This new force structure in the Texas Army National Guard will include Battalion Headquarters and Headquarters Company (HHC), Rifle Company, (B Co) Weapons Company (D Co), and a Forward Support Company (FSC). The balance of the battalion will be located in Alaska and Rhode Island.

These units are being built from the ground up as opposed to transforming an existing force structure, so this unit presents vast opportunities for Texas Guardsmen who want to be part of the elite force of paratroopers.

Every Soldier in this battalion is a parachutist and many of the positions are coded as Ranger and Pathfinder. The Forward Support Company is a dual gender unit comprising of logistic, food service, maintenance and supply occupation specialties, so female

Soldiers who want opportunities to attend Airborne, Jumpmaster, Pathfinder School and Air Assault School will be eligible to do so in the FSC. All companies will be co-located in Gatesville, TX which gives ready access to training areas and the airfield at Fort Hood for airborne operations.

This unit will not be for everyone, as all Paratroopers must be mentally disciplined and physically tough. It takes a special breed of person to be willing to exit an aircraft flying at 120 knots, 1500 feet above the ground in complete darkness wearing full combat equipment. Entry requirements for airborne school include passing the Army Physical Fitness test at the 17-21 year old age group standard.

Texas National Guard Soldiers who are airborne qualified or those who are interested in accepting the challenge of becoming a Paratrooper in the most elite Battalion in the National Guard, they should contact the Battalion (prior entered Information deleted by Admin) or via email:

(email address deleted by Admin - Previous Posted info no longer correct)
Posted: 9/16/2009 5:31:55 PM
KMAN
Texas ARNG
E Co, 1/143D (Airborne), 36ID
USN ET2 (SW/AW) 94'-02'
oneday_I_will
USAF Veteran

Post by oneday_I_will »

To KMANinTX...Roger that. I think you were trying to get my attention. Good to meet you. I sent you a PM. My sit with the unit is unique. My contract is a Prior Service Special Forces Asencion contract. Basically...as long as I successfully pass each training phase I belong to C Co./5th Bat./19th SFGA (NQP). However, for NG enlistment purposes...I was "cubbyholed" to the HHC/1st Bat./ 143rd IR (Airborne). So, in a nutshell, if I don't successfully complete my 18-24 month pipeline..beginning 6 July....I will be seeing you at the 143rd. Either way...good to meet you and I will see ya' soon brother.
79th FS Shaw AFB 92-95
78th FS Shaw AFB 96-98

Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

oneday_I_will wrote:... if I don't successfully complete my 18-24 month pipeline..beginning 6 July....I will be seeing you at the 143rd. Either way...good to meet you and I will see ya' soon brother.
Don't ever set yourself up for accepting less than success.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Good stuff! Best of luck!
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"

Return to “Recruitment Process”