New AR15 Sight question

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
McD
Ranger

New AR15 Sight question

Post by McD »

Before you bust my balls it is for my 10 year old.

I bought a S&W M&P 15-22. Very cool set up and I bought it because of the collapsible stock for my boy (once I remove the pin that holds the stock in one position). It has the fixed sights but I'd like to put a red dot on it. No I'm not putting a AimPoint, or EOtech on it... something cheaper. My question is: On a flat top AR do most add a riser to the Picatinny rail or high mountsto get the sight up a little higher? Do you raise it enough to go over the front sight. I wouldn't mind keeping the standard sights on it if possible.

FYI: The NY compiant model as the stock drilled and a roll pin inserted to remove the adjustability of the stock. Unforunately it is fully extended. My plan is to drill out the pin (can't push it out because the pin doesn't go all the way through) redrill and pin at a shorter length for the boy.

FYI I'm thinking of buying a Vortex Red Dot, relatively cheap but highly rated.

What say you black Op's guys?
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
RangerX
Ranger

Re: New AR15 Sight question

Post by RangerX »

Me personally, and what I see at the range, you mount the optic so that it can co-witness with your iron sights. So the answer is "it depends" on the optic. An Eotech mounted directly to the flat top will co-witness just fine with standard AR sights.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

Thanks bunches!
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
GnSurfin
Embryo

Post by GnSurfin »

McD wrote: FYI I'm thinking of buying a Vortex Red Dot, relatively cheap but highly rated.
Ranger McD,

If you go to www dot promotive dot com, and sign up for the military - department of defense team you get discounts to 67 retailers(its free). One of the retailers is Vortex Optics, and they offer a discount of 35% off msrp. They don't currently have any of the red dots in stock but I have seen them on there before.

HTH

Jon
A dead soldier who has given his life because of the failure of his leader is a dreadful sight before God
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Does this work even if you are no longer in the military?
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
GnSurfin
Embryo

Post by GnSurfin »

Baseplate wrote:Does this work even if you are no longer in the military?
Ranger Baseplate,

I am not sure. I am currently in ROTC and they let me in. They ask you to fill out a small profile for vetting and I just used my ako email. The turn around time was only about 3 hours until I had access to the deals. One of the guys that works for promotive is over on the professional soldiers forum. I'll shoot him a PM and ask him to come over here and spread the wealth, if thats a go from the Mods. Leupold Optics is also on there, as well as Suunto, SOG Knives, Kershaw, Crimson Trace laser grips, and a bunch of others.

Jon
A dead soldier who has given his life because of the failure of his leader is a dreadful sight before God
GnSurfin
Embryo

Post by GnSurfin »

Ranger McD,

Another good site is www dot samplelist dot com. They have some pretty huge discounts on slightly used scopes, last years stock, as well as new scopes right from the factory with "blemishes" in the paint job . Thats where I bought the glass I'm currently rocking on my rem 700.

Jon

Return to “Weapons of War”