Just signed on!

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
DD
Embryo

Just signed on!

Post by DD »

Well I just signed on yesterday and ship out in September 23rd. I was unable to get the option 40 due to my ortho waiver but was still able to get into Infantry. Once in, I have been told repeatedly that I will be able to volunteer for the Airborne and RIP opportunities. Getting an opportunity at RIP and making it is still the number one objective. I just hope the bs is right about opportunities to volunteer.
"America is too great for small dreams." President Ronald Reagan

"You miss 100% of the chances you don't take."
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

Let me be the first to offer Congrats Double D and I, for one, hope that everything works out for you.

Thanks for your commitment to serve our country!!

Angry
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Congratulations DD, and best of luck to ya.

Back in my day, there was a Ranger Liaison from Regiment who made it a point to give a presentation to all the Airborne Studs about life at Bn. I would bet that tradition still lives on today. Since you're gonna be an 11B I'm certain you'll have many opportunities to volunteer, but if you're not sure you can always show up to RIP and let'm know your interested. We kinda like people who show initiative.

Good luck! 8)
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
DD
Embryo

Post by DD »

Thanks! I plan on doing everything within my power to get into RIP. I knew and read many times that I needed it in my contract but I was unable to. However, I feel that I am still a good candidate to get picked up and if the opportunity comes to volunteer I will be the first to raise up. Whatever it takes. I will still be going into OSUT with the RIP standards as my goal and will give my utmost effort at everything and anything I can do to get into the RIP course. My contract may not gaurantee it but my effort will definitely show it.

Thanks again and I welcome any advice as to who to talk to or what to do. God Bless!

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

DD wrote:Thanks! I plan on doing everything within my power to get into RIP. I knew and read many times that I needed it in my contract but I was unable to. However, I feel that I am still a good candidate to get picked up and if the opportunity comes to volunteer I will be the first to raise up. Whatever it takes. I will still be going into OSUT with the RIP standards as my goal and will give my utmost effort at everything and anything I can do to get into the RIP course. My contract may not gaurantee it but my effort will definitely show it.

Thanks again and I welcome any advice as to who to talk to or what to do. God Bless!
This is just the attitude you will need to drive yourself forward. Keep it always and ye shall go far.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Shallow Grave
Ranger

Post by Shallow Grave »

Great to hear that you enlisted!
C Co. 3/75 Ranger Regiment
Nov. 2005-present
Ranger School Class 04-08

Adapt and Overcome. Don't whine, just do it. Don't complain, just do it. Don't put on a suck face and want sympathy. Man the fuck up. - Ranger Disinfertention
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

Congrats and thank you for what you're doing for our country. I hope to to wear Ranger tab with you one day.
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.
Bell

Post by Bell »

Congratulations. Good luck.

RLTW
Bell
ChipOnShoulder

advice to double "D"

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

I had lots of guys I grew up with at home go through the process and were shot down at various stages because they believed Drill Seargents and Black hats too much. When I was going through basic training I had an E-6 Drill tell me that if I did not have a contract I was not going to Batt. That was total bull shit. I saw him right before I was ETSing out of Batt. to go home and he never served one day in the Regmt. At AIT I was questioned why I would want to be a Ranger by Drill Seargents- "It is too hard", "the hospital is where it is at", "why abuse yourself". None of those candy asses were ever in Regiment. Then during AIT there was a ranger Brief and volunteer meeting during tower week of Airborne School. Myself and another like minded Combat Medic (91B) were told we could not go to the meeting unless we had a contract. We then were given mops and brooms and were told clean shit. We immediately dropped our "tools" and went to the meeting when Sgt. "Airplane" was not looking. You know what? we both signed up for RIP, went and were accepted into the best four years in the best unit in the whole godamned Army. However the other medic got RFS'd for being a shitbag later down the road.

Point being: Selection for the Rangers begins the moment you arrive and the moment you leave the army. Don't listen to mediocracy from others and don't quit ever. Do your time however long you want it to be, either four years or twenty years. You won't regret it believe me

Doc Cook
DD
Embryo

Post by DD »

Thanks Ranger Doc Cook, that seems to be the best option. I will do all I can and will try to let the speculation settle a bit and just play the best hand that I have. I know that with persistence and the right attitude/performance I will get my shot. Thanks for the advice.

hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

refer to my Sticky. it expires on friday.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Recruitment Process”