What Makes a Good LT?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

snafu
Ranger

What Makes a Good LT?

Post by snafu »

Fellow Rangers,
I'm about 4 months into my new gig as a cherry LT ( I have to say I was prior enlisted and went through OCS to avoid any confusion...). I want your opinions as to what makes a lieutenant successful in the Army. I know that from my time as an enlisted soldier I wanted my LT's to not re-invent the wheel, not try to change the Army in a day, etc....I trust your opinions more than anyone's....well at least some of your crazy asses...!

Thanks in advance and I appreciate the feedback.

-Derek
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
The Holmchicken
Ranger

Re: What Makes a Good LT?

Post by The Holmchicken »

Have a good PSG. I've known a grip of former enlisted guys who became O's and thought they knew just as much if not more than the PSG. Plus, alot of them tended to micro-manage because they were SP4's or team leaders before getting commissioned and still tried to get into the weeds of day-to-day business. So my advice, listen to the PSG. The big difference between you and some brand new choad is that you have a better idea of when you're getting bullshitted. Good luck.
2/75 97-00

It's not that I'm lazy........it's that I don't care

75th RRA
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

When I became a fire lieutenant, one of the chiefs who spoke to my "fire OCS" grad departed with this advice that seems appropriate to you Mustang:
"Never forget where you came from; but always remember you aren't there anymore"

You already know we'll say "listen to your NCOs". That's good , but remember, YOU are the one in charge and have to make the final call, once you've considered what you can and have time to. So, man up & make the call. For better or worse, it comes down to you.
As that chief officer said, your men expect leadership, provide it.

If you have to, call someone you served with from your old NCO days (good), or an officer you respected when you were an NCO (better) and run things by them.

You gain confidence as you gain experience. Experience comes from exercising judgement. Good judgement follows bad judgement.
There's no shortcut :mrgreen: Make your mistakes, suck up the lessons and drive on.
You're already well prepared Ranger, you'll do fine. And don't lose the key to the comsec safe.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

dude, you got 6 yrs in Regt. Take the lessons you observed by watching others make decisions that had a positive or negative impact on others and apply accordingly. Rank is given, respect is earned

What Makes a Good LT?
His men
Last edited by RRDTm3 on February 12th, 2010, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

RRDTm3 wrote:dude, you got 6 yrs in Regt. Take the lessons you observed by watching others make decisions that had a positive or negative impact on others and apply accordingly. Rank is given, respect is earned
Excellent observation. I might add, the biggest challenge is the same challenge you had when you became a team leader of squad leader: you are not "one of the boys" anymore. As a Ranger-qualified officer the gap is just a little greater. On the other hand 2LT over six years for pay purposes is not a bad income.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

I have a serious question for you. What do YOU think makes a good LT?
Please provide YOUR answer here, as the helping hand you have always sought is at the end of your right arm; and, there are many here who will benefit from your honest, considered, relevant and provocative response.
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

IMHO you need to find out what's going on two commander's up the chain. You are the link between concept and implementation. Don't try to hide out with your platoon instead of going to meetings. Meetings and staff operations aren't fun but that's where the missions are planned and supported. Better to get your guys some support early than to turn around after the mission is cocked up and whine about no support.

You have to spend time with your commander and his commander and all the staff weenies too if you want to know what's going on and be able to make good decisions on the fly.

You're an Officer now and you need to KNOW what's going on and bring that back to your platoon. You don't have to be an ass kisser, you just have to be on the "inside" of things. They will want your advice given your Rgt time.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

First, let me thank you all for your input and advice. I posed this question in the first place because I wanted the opinions of those I respect. I was asked to answer my own question so here it is: I'd be lying if I did not try to combine what was said throughout this thread into one answer right here...I have to say I agree most with the statement that "his men" are what makes a good LT. I think a good LT takes care of his men, makes sure they have the best equipment, plans good training and oversees the execution, and is the guy who looks ahead and sees the big picture-letting his NCOs do their jobs and listens to thier input.

I have a great PSG which helps too. He's probably sick of me leaning on him so much but I'm starting to pull myself off the teet.

Much appreciated Rangers...
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”