Rucking as a 13F

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Rucking as a 13F

Post by K.Ingraham »

Concentrate on building your core strength, aim towards maxing the PT test and build up some calluses. Start walking whereever you go.
Tooling around with heavy weight on your back with so little time left to prepare will only hurt you. Besides, rucking is as much "mind over matter" as it is anything else.
Never let up on your personal PT, you will NOT get enough in AIT or jump school to be prepared for RASP.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

wcwilliam7 wrote:Thank you Ranger K.Ingraham. I know my ship date is a little early, but rucking is my main concern. My PT as of now is, Push ups, 81, situps, 89 and my 2 mile 13:15. My muscles are still in shape, i just need to run to get my breath back
Listen to what K. Ingraham said. It's good advice.

Dont worry about "practicing" rucking. You want to know how to build the stamina to ruck? Really?

It's simple: PT your ass off so you have the core strength required.(see what the stud above has said to you) And then, light a candle (the 6 inch cheap kind from walmart)...set it 4 feet infront of you. Sit down. Stare at the candle for an hour at a time. I bet you cant do it...but if you can...you can ruck forever. No bullshit. If you have the strength, and the focus, it's a non issue.

Now go do some push ups before Bravo57 makes you climb on your roof and watch for inbound russian migs...
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

wcwilliam7 wrote:Thank you Ranger Oto-man.
Im on my way to purchase the 8 inch candle instead
:lol: :lol:

Now do push ups.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

wcwilliam7 wrote:Rangers,

As a Dep with a 13f option 40, should i pay considerably more amounts of time Rucking? I have read some solid information about Fisters within the regiment, and from what i read and my limited understanding, I will live in a ruck sack so i will have my radio available at all times. What is the average 13F ruck weigh? I have about a month and a half before i ship, but i would like to be up to par. I try to hold true to the 7 P's. Prior proper planning prevents piss poor performance. Currently I enjoy small 5 to 6 mile rucks with 60lbs, which isnt too bad or hard, (except the straps wearing holes in my shoulders). Any advice?
It's like carrying a house on your back. Everyone else is carrying a house as well, so it doesn't matter.

Mission essential gear. Don't mind fuck yourself about how much weight you are going to carry before you even get to basic. Will you even make it to RASP? Who knows. One step at a time stud.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Reiver
Ranger

Post by Reiver »

Make it through your initial gates, rucking will become an issue down the road. You'll only break yourself down at this point if you go Heavy, Early. Key part of the process is just to break in boots, feet, back. Boots you're gonna' wear; Feet to those boots & conditions; Back to a Ruck. DO NOT RUSH IT, by going to hard, heavy, & fast. Pain will come.

13E & F, B/2-75 INF, 1976-79
Other work later...
V/R...Reiver sends

Course 5-78
B/2-75th INF, 1976-79
Ft Bragg, NC, 1981-2006
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

Take heed to what all of these Rangers have told you...sounds like you are already so keep it up. I trained a lot of 13F's in Regiment's RTO course which you'll attend if you pass RASP. You will most definitely ruck but you will really use your assault pack more than anything on deployments--which is where the weight you're carrying matters...remember, ounces make pounds. As a 13F you're an important part of the team...don't forget about your rifle, but using that radio to make it rain pain is your role!
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.

Return to “About Army Physical Training”