New PT scores

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Patrick93
Embryo

New PT scores

Post by Patrick93 »

Hello Rangers,

I've been working on my PT and my scores are as follows

In 2 minutes..

Push ups: 40 (not the best but they have gotten better from what they were before)

Sit-ups: 84 (I think that is max on the APFT)

Pull ups (not timed): 20

2 mile run: 14:30 (I have gotten better but it's still my worst)

This is just an update. I have been on a hiatus for a while so I had to get back into shape, but I'm following a new running program and a new rucking program. Rucking has gotten easier since I walk around with at least 30-40 lbs in my pack at school. My new running program is 2 miles every other day with one 5 mile run during the week and push ups/sit-ups/weight training on non-running days. Does it sound like it would work?

I also have been looking at some of the Physical Training advice and I have some great ideas and programs.

Thank you Rangers, for your help.

I wish you all a great weekend

-Patrick
panthersix
Ranger

Re: New PT scores

Post by panthersix »

why can't you do push ups?
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Patrick93
Embryo

Post by Patrick93 »

panthersix wrote:why can't you do push ups?
Ranger Panthersix,

I have no excuse, but I am hoping the program that I saw on here will help.

I do have a question about a problem that I've come across: When I use a bench press and I follow a schedule for about a week, the next week, push ups seem to get harder. Do you have any insight as to why this would happen?

Thank you Ranger Panthersix
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Patrick93 wrote:
panthersix wrote:why can't you do push ups?
Ranger Panthersix,

I have no excuse, but I am hoping the program that I saw on here will help.

I do have a question about a problem that I've come across: When I use a bench press and I follow a schedule for about a week, the next week, push ups seem to get harder. Do you have any insight as to why this would happen?

Thank you Ranger Panthersix
Um, you're muscles are smoked from lifting? There are other boards and forums on anatomy and physiology and I'm not a fitness guru.

My personal experience is that if you want to get good at push ups, then you need to do push ups. In all forms, feet elevated, sets, one long set, as part of body weight works outs like burpees, etc.. Same for sit ups, running and pull ups.

I maxed out the three event APFT test for two decades just doing three sets of 35 push ups/sit ups (do set of pu then su then pu then su etc.) on MWF and then running three miles on Tu/Th/Sat. About a month before the PT test, I'd switch over to doing the PT test, just breaking it up into the two components pu/su and running. I got the most improvement out of my runs by doing interval training.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Patrick93 wrote: When I use a bench press and I follow a schedule for about a week, the next week, push ups seem to get harder. Do you have any insight as to why this would happen?
Push ups and bench presses are not the same. When you do push ups you are moving your body. When you do bench presses you are just moving a weight plus your shoulder blades are not articulating because they are pressed into the bench. Scapula dysfunction is a major contributor to blown rotator cuffs and impingement.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Patrick93
Embryo

Post by Patrick93 »

Roger Ranger Panthersix, Ranger X-ray, and Ranger Flesh Thorn.

Thank you all for your advice. I will follow your hard earned advice, and reach my limits and break them.

-Patrick
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Patrick93 wrote: I will follow your hard earned advice, and reach my limits and break them.-Patrick
Quit talking smack and do push ups! :evil:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “About Army Physical Training”