National Guard to RIP

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Bugsy
Ranger

Post by Bugsy »

Congratulations RhodyOcs, never quit, never "accept" the words "it can't be done", Prove that it can! Simply Mind over Matter.

Assuming that you make it, what's next.............TF-160!?! (gotta go active duty for that though)

Good luck 8)
1984 - 1985 5th Inf Div
1985 - 1986 75th Inf Ranger Regt
1986 - 1988 3/12 SFG (ABN)

The strength of the pack is the Wolf... and the strength of the Wolf is the pack... :twisted:
RhodyOcs
Embryo

Post by RhodyOcs »

Thank You, Ranger BeadleBug, I will do what needs to be done.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
RhodyOcs
Embryo

Post by RhodyOcs »

In addition, I want to correct a mistake that I have wrote. My unit will send me to RIP as an E4 prior to OCS. Previously, I was going to attend the active, or accelerated Army OCS which is 14 weeks, starting in January. However now in light of my situation, I will attend the normal National Guard OCS which is 18 months long because it takes place on weekends. Luckily, my Rhode Island's Guard OCS does not begin until mid- June, so I have the time to attend Airborne as well as RIP before the OCS class begins. Regardless, of that, I am grateful to have this opportunity. I have until I am 30 basically to get my wings, but I feel that physically this is the best time for me to attempt to become Ranger qualified, so flight school can wait a few months.
ImportsRsloths
Ranger

Post by ImportsRsloths »

Keep in mind RIP Holdover is between 5-7 weeks long right now......
It's Mind over Matter. If you don't Mind, it won't Matter.
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

he's talking about PRE-RANGER. a lot of people call that RIP. even in the Regular Army.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
ImportsRsloths
Ranger

Post by ImportsRsloths »

I think that 2 week pre-ranger course is called "RAP"???
It's Mind over Matter. If you don't Mind, it won't Matter.
RhodyOcs
Embryo

Post by RhodyOcs »

Ranger BeadleBug, I plan to put in for active duty after serving two years in my unit once I have completed flight school...(I've been told that the state will usually allow so after this amount of time) Going to flight school through the National Guard is the quickest route for me at this point, because in Rhode Island we have a need for pilots right now with their currently being 5 openings for an officer/pilot slot, specifcally from the unit that I am assigned to. Believe me, If I can go Night Stalker I will. That is the pinnacle of any rotor-winged pilot in the Army. With the time that I owe to the service, I don't see any sense in not going for the best.
JB
US Army Veteran

Post by JB »

I think your commander is blowing smoke up your ass.

No meaning to hurt egos, but it's pretty damn difficult for NG guys to get Ranger school becuase of money issues. Yep your commander may say you're going to Ranger school but when it gets to the DCSOPS for the orders to be cut, they're going to look and see a "Rep 63" and thousands of dollars allocated, your state must compete with all the other states, components and the Active Army to get you a class seat, and say no. Not only that but you've got actuall combat arms units in your state that will get first shot.

As far as you going on to active duty after OCS/Flight School, again don't count on it. If you've got an AKO account and can log into http://platoonleader.army.mil There were posts from NG officers wanting to go active duty who were turned down.

But like the Rangers said above, anything is possible. A good way to get these high speed schools is to recruite a ton of people into the Guard (15 or more in one year).
AD 1993-1998
Currently a FA Battery XO

Return to “Recruitment Process”