GERONIMO!!!

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Good one.....

Geronimo was of course a brave indian warrior......I believe WWII paratroops took it as a battlecry after his ferocity......this is all off the top of my head of course....
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

wm311 wrote:Good one.....

Geronimo was of course a brave indian warrior......I believe WWII paratroops took it as a battlecry after his ferocity......this is all off the top of my head of course....
I think they used to use it in leiu of one-thousand, two-thousand, three-thousand, four-thousand.
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I always used the battle cry, OH SHIT, upon exiting the aircraft. :shock:
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Spartan

Post by Spartan »

The first time those guys jumped - the very first time - the first jumper to stand in the door didn't jump. They made two complete passes and he still did not jump. They unhooked him from the static line and put him at the front of the aircraft. By the time the other jumpers jumped, on this historic first planeload of partroopers, the men reached the ground and returned to the hanger, he was already gone. They never saw him again.

I had the chance to speak with some of them a few years back and this is what they told me.
Mitch
Ranger

Post by Mitch »

Ranger Rohland wrote:My research comes from an old 1984 issue of GUNG-HO and according to that the origin of GERONIMO is as follows:

On 29 August, 1940 the test platoon made the first platoon mass jump held in the United States.

The night before the famous jump, Private Aubrey Eberhart and several other members of the test platoon went to the main post theater and saw a western movie where the cavalry fought the infamous apache, Geronimo.

After the movie, the men went to the beer hall and talked about the upcoming mass jump. Eberhart casually commented, "Well, it shouldn't be any different from the others." He was immediatedly chided by his comrades who knew that the mass jump would be extremely dangerous. One of the men even bet Eberhart that he'd be so scared he wouldn't be able to remember his own name.

Eberhart took the bet and told them he'd prove he wasn't scared. He'd yell "Geronimo!" as he jumped from the door.

Next morning dawned bright and early. Half the test platoon boarded two aircraft and took off. The other half sat alongside the airfield, quietly watching. The entire platoon had heard of the bet and wondered if Eberhart would really yell.

The lead aircraft came into view and was soon directly over the airfield. The first trooper sprang from the aircraft and was quickly followed by the others, their parachutes opening with loud pops.

As the men watched, they heard a loud, "Geronimo!" followed by a thunderous war whoop. Eberhart had won the bet and instituted a tradition.

"Geronimo!" was adopted by the test platoon as their yell, and later, when the 1st Battalion of the Airborne was designated, "Geronimo!" would become their motto.

Ranger Rohland
A 1/75 77-79
Class 5-78
Confirming Ranger Rohlands research. I saw the same story on a History Channel Special.
RHQ 94-96, HHC 1/75 96-00
RS 12-95
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Guess I was all screwed up....I always yelled, "Geritol!!" :oops:
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
DocDaigle

Post by DocDaigle »

EarthPig wrote:Guess I was all screwed up....I always yelled, "Geritol!!" :oops:
RLTW
EP
I yelled, what do you mean I din't hook up?
Creeping Death
Ranger

Post by Creeping Death »

Hell, I yelled "Hurry the fuck up! I've got to PISS!!"
A Co 1/75 '94-'97
Class 5-96
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

Spartan wrote:The first time those guys jumped - the very first time - the first jumper to stand in the door didn't jump. They made two complete passes and he still did not jump. They unhooked him from the static line and put him at the front of the aircraft. By the time the other jumpers jumped, on this historic first planeload of partroopers, the men reached the ground and returned to the hanger, he was already gone. They never saw him again.
That was until he showed up in SF 16 yrs later! You know SF will take anyone :lol:
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

RRDTm3 wrote:
Spartan wrote:The first time those guys jumped - the very first time - the first jumper to stand in the door didn't jump. They made two complete passes and he still did not jump. They unhooked him from the static line and put him at the front of the aircraft. By the time the other jumpers jumped, on this historic first planeload of partroopers, the men reached the ground and returned to the hanger, he was already gone. They never saw him again.
That was until he showed up in SF 16 yrs later! You know SF will take anyone :lol:
hehheheee...was SF before or after dental hygeinist skoool?

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”