PT Improvement

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

PT Improvement

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

I was answering a couple of questions via PM, and it raised a couple of new questions in my mind. Here they are...

Background:
I've been a desk-jockey all these years and now I need to shape up in no more than 9 months so that I can be sure and have all my enlistment complete before my 35th birthday. So I'm trying to roll-back 10 years of damage from sitting on my ass. I haven't been entirely sedintary, I've had some exercise here and there, but I've lost a hell of a lot in the way of strength and stamina during these years. As I said in my intro, I'm scoring in the 50's on a self-administered APFT. Specifically, I'm at about 38 pushups, 48 situps and at about 16:10 on the run. And I'm presently carrying about an extra 35 pounds.

My plan is to sign the enlistment papers as soon as I can improve those scores into the upper 60's to lower 70's - my "signing range". I figure after signing, I'll still have a couple of months to improve before shipping, and then I can figure on improving alot during OSUT. Right now, I'm still working, so I can't devote all day to PT like I would if I could.

I would like to sign as early as OCT or NOV, if possible, but I don't know if that's a reasonable expectation to put on myself. I MUST sign by next March, the way I figure, to insure that I ship before my 35th birthday in July.

Questions:
  1. In your expert opinions, what is a reasonable schedule for improvement from where I'm at to "signing range"?
  2. Is my "signing range" high enough?
NoMoreRegrets
- better late than never.
Bell

Post by Bell »

This should be in the Recruiting forum. The questions you ask are for SFC Hit_it.

RLTW
Bell
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

My apologies then, Ranger Bell. I put them here because it was about PT. Should I repost in that forum or can this message be moved over?
NoMoreRegrets
Bell

Post by Bell »

Let it ride. SFC Hit_it would be the guy to ask about your window though.

RLTW
Bell
AngryPistols
US Army Veteran

Post by AngryPistols »

MMMMmmmm twins!!! :D :D
Angry

USA 95B 84-87, TXARNG 91B 88-89, CIV 89-present

"Yet each man kills the thing he loves, some do it with a bitter look, some with a flattering word, the coward does it with a kiss, and the brave man with the sword. " -Oscar Wilde
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

I attempted a 5-miler today. Fell short by about a mile. Damn near passed out. Body said, "whoa, wtf is this?" and then preempted mind-over-matter by shutting down the blood to the brain, it seemed. Did about 3 3/4 in 34:20, I estimate, though I'm not 100% certain because I was staggering around trying to keep my feet and it took me about 20-30 seconds to regain my bearings.

I'm not entirely disappointed. I didn't quit mentally - pushed through a helluva lotta pain. My body hasn't been on that kind of ride in quite a while.

Anyway, I'd still be interested on any input from any of you experts about the questions above. Is it a reasonable expectation to put on myself to be able to improve to that "signing range" by OCT or NOV? And, if not, what schedule should I plan for? And is the "signing range" high enough, in your opinions? Thanks in advance for any advice in this regard.
NoMoreRegrets
Roasting
Soldier

Post by Roasting »

NoMoreRegrets - first let me state I am no expert...I will, however, relay to you what happened in my case when I tried to step up the intensity of my runs too fast.

Usually after a workout session I would go about 2 - 3 miles at a pretty decent clip. A couple weeks ago I ran a 5-miler with my dad (he does 10k competitively) and we were going flat out. My knee hurt like hell aftwards and I was diagnosed with iliotibial friction syndrome, AKA IT band/Runner's Knee. Basically the ligament that runs down you thigh and over your knee gets inflamed and any time the knee is bent there is serious pain. This has sidelined me from running; still doing PUs, SUs, dips, pullups, etc.

I would advise against trying that 5-miler again. If you're body is not used to that mileage bad things will happen. Do incremental step-ups in intensity.

As for improving PT, there are some well-known programs such as the SEAL wannabe workout routine. It takes you day by day starting from a relatively easy workout to some hardcore #s in the later weeks. If you want I can send you a copy of the program in MS Word format.

As for when to sign, SFC hit_it can help you with that, but do realize there is no PT test before you sign at MEPS.
penetra le tenebre
NoMoreRegrets
Tadpole

Post by NoMoreRegrets »

rossi46 wrote:If you want I can send you a copy of the program in MS Word format.
Please do... PM inbound.
rossi46 wrote:As for when to sign, SFC hit_it can help you with that, but do realize there is no PT test before you sign at MEPS.
I do realize that. And, in fact, if I only wanted regular Army, then I would go and sign today. I believe, however, that I have the mental toughness required for Rangers. Of course, until I pass the test, that's just more bullshit chest-thumping from a wannabe, and I realize that, so I'm only saying that I believe that I do.

No matter what shape I'm in, they will take my body to its failing point, all to test that I do indeed have the mental toughness that I believe I have. However, if my body fails (not my mind) short of the required PT performance, then I won't even have a chance at exhibiting the mental toughness. So, before I sign, I want to make sure that I have "cured" myself of the effects of sitting on my ass for 10 years.
NoMoreRegrets

Return to “About Army Physical Training”