Allergies and Asthma

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Civiguy
Embryo

Allergies and Asthma

Post by Civiguy »

I have been informed by my Doctor that my asthma is caused by my allergies. He had me start a shot regiment that will abolish my allergies, which will rid me of my asthmatic condition. I was wondering if this would inhibit me from getting an Option 40 contract, or even in a broader spectrum, inhibit me from joining the Army.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum."
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Re: Allergies and Asthma

Post by K.Ingraham »

It's a 'regimen' your doctor puts you on, not a regimenT. Your doctor cannot put you in a regiment. You'll have to earn that for your self.

Look here: http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Give some thought to what career you really want, consider something where not being able to breathe isn't much of a liability. Like progressive politics or tv commentator.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Civiguy
Embryo

Post by Civiguy »

K.Ingraham wrote:It's a 'regimen' your doctor puts you on, not a regimenT. Your doctor cannot put you in a regiment. You'll have to earn that for your self.

Look here: http://forum.armyranger.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Give some thought to what career you really want, consider something where not being able to breathe isn't much of a liability. Like progressive politics or tv commentator.
Ranger K.Ingraham, thank you for the correction.

My doctor said that once I complete this program, my asthma will be gone. I've given thought to my career and I want to be an Airborne Ranger!
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Does this mean that in reality you never had asthma, but only allergies? If so, have your doctor put a statement about that in your medical records.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
cback0220
Tadpole

Post by cback0220 »

What are you allergic to that causes the attacks? Is it something like dogs or something more common like pollen
Also what are your attacks like?
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its warriors and its scholars will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
Civiguy
Embryo

Post by Civiguy »

cback0220 wrote:What are you allergic to that causes the attacks? Is it something like dogs or something more common like pollen
Soldier cback0220,

I am allergic to common things like weeds and pollen. My attacks consist of my eyes watering, my nose running, and my face swelling.
cback0220
Tadpole

Post by cback0220 »

Civiguy wrote:
cback0220 wrote:What are you allergic to that causes the attacks? Is it something like dogs or something more common like pollen
Soldier cback0220,

I am allergic to common things like weeds and pollen. My attacks consist of my eyes watering, my nose running, and my face swelling.
Does your airway also swell up? If the above is what happens then it sounds like your allergies are very serious and due to an extremely common thing. Which would suck for you at Ft.Benning in the spring!
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its warriors and its scholars will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
Civiguy
Embryo

Post by Civiguy »

cback0220 wrote: Does your airway also swell up? If the above is what happens then it sounds like your allergies are very serious and due to an extremely common thing. Which would suck for you at Ft.Benning in the spring!
Soldier cback0220

My airway is not affected. I started taking a different allergy medication, which completely controls my allergies. My asthmatic condition has stopped me from anything since I started taking the medication. I was in track, which was a lot of running for a high school kid. I didn't break records, but I still did it. That was before I started taking allergy meds.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

My guess is that you will have to go through the complete shot schedule (usually 1 year) before you can be cleared of everything, including asthma. Your doc may not want to sign off on the asthma part until he sees how you respond to shots and the eventual outcome. You would need this 'all clear' before signing up.

My brother in law is an allergist in Nashville and Clarksville. I can ask him if nobody else gets you an answer.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

I'm not sure if I got this right.. you doc says that the shot regimen will completely eliminate your allergic condition? Or will it just suppress it for a very long time? Being allergic to pollen, as was said, sucks nut during a Ft. Benning spring. It is quite a sight to see rain runoff turn bright yellow from all of the pollen in the air.

I've said my peace here about asthma. Here's hoping you get a handle on it.

Added: If you haven't started the shot regimen you might want to try into a homeopathic remedy that is the best I've ever seen for seasonal allergies. Local Honey (and I don't mean the girls... )

Get a hold of some pure, unblended honey that was produced within 50 miles of where you live. (a farmers market or natural food store should have it..) Use it in your food (to sweeten coffee or tea, on pancakes, whatever..) or if you'd rather, just take a tablespoon of it twice a day. I swear it works like a champ for the hay fever/pollen type allergies. Give it a shot. It can't hurt you.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Civiguy
Embryo

Post by Civiguy »

PocketKings wrote:My guess is that you will have to go through the complete shot schedule (usually 1 year) before you can be cleared of everything, including asthma. Your doc may not want to sign off on the asthma part until he sees how you respond to shots and the eventual outcome. You would need this 'all clear' before signing up.

My brother in law is an allergist in Nashville and Clarksville. I can ask him if nobody else gets you an answer.
Ranger PocketKings,

My shot schedule is a 5 year commitment. I have been on it for a few months now. My Doc says that it has to potential to eliminate my asthma completely. He also stated that my asthma goes hand in hand with my allergies.

Thank you for the offer of asking your brother-in-law, but that won't be necessary.
Civiguy
Embryo

Post by Civiguy »

The Sleepy Doc wrote:I'm not sure if I got this right.. you doc says that the shot regimen will completely eliminate your allergic condition? Or will it just suppress it for a very long time? Being allergic to pollen, as was said, sucks nut during a Ft. Benning spring. It is quite a sight to see rain runoff turn bright yellow from all of the pollen in the air.

I've said my peace here about asthma. Here's hoping you get a handle on it.

Added: If you haven't started the shot regimen you might want to try into a homeopathic remedy that is the best I've ever seen for seasonal allergies. Local Honey (and I don't mean the girls... )

Get a hold of some pure, unblended honey that was produced within 50 miles of where you live. (a farmers market or natural food store should have it..) Use it in your food (to sweeten coffee or tea, on pancakes, whatever..) or if you'd rather, just take a tablespoon of it twice a day. I swear it works like a champ for the hay fever/pollen type allergies. Give it a shot. It can't hurt you.
Ranger Sleepy Doc,

My Doc could be hoping for the best by telling me that could completely eliminate my allergic condition. He also started me on a strong allergy medication that is working wonders.

I have started taking the shots, but anything that could help I will try. Right now my allergies are not bad at all due to it being in the negative temperatures. Once summer rolls around, I will give it a shot, thank you for the advice.
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

The shot thing almost always completely eliminates the allergy. But, the commitment is pretty steep. Worth it if it's gonna improve your life.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

PocketKings wrote:The shot thing almost always completely eliminates the allergy. But, the commitment is pretty steep. Worth it if it's gonna improve your life.
x2
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Medical Issues”