Question about SOCM

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
PICURN
Egg

Question about SOCM

Post by PICURN »

Rangers,

I'm attepmting to get a 68w option 40 contract. Once RIP is completed its my understanding you go straight to SOCM. Would my wife be able to move with me while completeing SOCM or would she have to wait until I was done with SOCM and back at my assigned duty station.

Thanks,
Caleb
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: Question about SOCM

Post by Sleepy Doc »

No dependents at SOCM. Read #1 medical sticky. Out, here.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
RngrDoc75
Ranger

Post by RngrDoc75 »

Technically, yes, you may move your family with you to Ft Bragg for the SOCM course. However, it is discouraged as it is already a difficult course and families tend to make it more difficult. That being said, guys have done it before.

The main thing is DO NOT sign your family into any kind of post housing unless you have been told to. We have had a couple of boneheads get housing before they had even finished RIP. This threw a wrench into the entire program.

Additionally, to say you go directly to SOCM from RIP is not completely accurate. You stay in Pre-SOCM Hold at Ft Benning until the next available SOCM class as there are only 8 classes a year. Normally, this holdover time is about 6 weeks. You spend that 6 weeks conducting the Pre-SOCM course and working in the Regt Aid Station. Based on individual performance, some Pre-SOCM personnel are afforded the opportunity to attend Ranger school prior to attending SOCM. This is totally case-by-case based.
RngrDoc75
Ranger Medic, 75th RGR Regt
1990-1995 at 1/75
1995 to 2012 at RHQ
2012 to 2015 at USSOCOM
2015 to Present CoTCCC/Joint Trauma System

if you can do the math and have been in the Regt medical team in those years, then you probably know who I am...

Dominatus Comminus Rememdium
"Mastery in Close Combat Medicine"
PICURN
Egg

Post by PICURN »

Roger

Return to “Medical Issues”