Famous Veterans.

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

Robert Altman - Hollywood director (M*A*S*H), served as a Bomber pilot in the European Theater during WWII.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

Since the UFC was brought up, don't forget Couture- he was in the 101st I believe, back in the 80's. Sig-Det type if I recall.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Bill Cosby was a Navy Corpsman from '56 to '60. I heard somewhere that he took part in the landing at Inchon, but apparently that is not the case. No matter, he still served honorably.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Famous Veterans

Post by Ranger Andy »

Our soon to be Commander-In-Chief, President Obama?
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...
Ranger Andy
Ranger

Re: Famous Veterans

Post by Ranger Andy »

Hung Low wrote:Some CinC's that served
How about George Washington?
Ranger Class 6-73 & 7-73
C Company, 75th Infantry (Ranger)
The Ranger Department (City Team)

I Hope They Serve Cold Beer in Hell...
Horned Toad
Ranger

Post by Horned Toad »

Ranger Andy wrote:
Grant even though he was a corrupt POS
75th RGR RGT 91-94
RS 03-92
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Horned Toad wrote:
Ranger Andy wrote:
Grant even though he was a corrupt POS
I agree on Grant.
As for Washington, he had qualities that all of us lived up to as Rangers.

Recognizing that I volunteered as a Ranger, fully knowing the hazards of my profession

Washington volunteered his services against one of the most formidible armies of the time (I don't say the strongest or mightiest army, because during the time of the Rev War they were not). On top of that he would be fighting against his own country because he believed what they were doing was wrong. If he failed, the "hazards" would be death by hanging.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong, and morally straight and I will shoulder more than my share of the task, whatever it may be, one hundred percent and then some.

Washington was one who would back his officers, and never speak bad about them, even to the extreme. During his time as commander many of these officers attempted to have him removed or fired by Congress, but he never sought revenge, and still spoke no ill of them. Even when Arnold became the traitor, and tried to have him captured, Washington would not initially believe it. He lived with the men in the field for 8 years, though he was over 50 by the end of the war.

My courtesy to superior officers, neatness of dress, and care of equipment shall set the example for others to follow.

Throughout the war Washington had to deal with Congress, and though he had this large military force that was loyal to him in a Caeserian way, he never used it to usurp the authority of Congress. One thing truly shows the character of the man who would become the first President, and that was that at the end of the war Washington had this large army, that won a revolution, and had the ability to make himself king or ruler for life. He instead disbanded the army, and returned home to be a farmer. This is so rare, that I know of only one other instance where it occured and that was Cincinnatus of Rome, who disbanded his legions and returned home to be a farmer. The officers of Washington went on to form a fraternal organization known as the Society of Cincinnatus, that still exists today.

Energetically will I meet the enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might. Surrender is not a Ranger word. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country.

I don't think there will be anyone who disputes this. Washington continued the fight, though he was outmatched by a superior army. When he did cross the Delaware he had lost New York City (it burned and he was blamed), he had lost the state of New York, he had lost a quarter of his army captured at Fort Washington, and public opinion hated him. Within his own ranks officers plotted to have him removed and put General Gates in charge (the guy who ran like a little girl at the battle of Camden). It was now winter, the time when armies went into barracks, and his men's enlistments would end in a few weeks. Most would give up, go home and cry in their beer. He did not. He decided to strike back, and do a move that would be so amazing that it brought France into the war on the side of the US.

At Brandywine Washington was soundly defeated in the bloodiest battle of the war. The British captured the capital, Philadelphia and the main fort at West Point. He had lost so many men that many of the regiments had to reconsolidate just to make one unit. Again, many would move away, lick their wounds and wait until the winter was over. Not Washington. He struck back in a night time attack on the main British garrison at Germantown outside Philadelphia.

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight on to the Ranger objective and complete the mission, though I be the lone survivor

If his army had been defeated, or his men had deserted, he had said that he would move to the mountains and continue to fight for as long as it took.

He is the role model many of us longed to be.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rgrokelley wrote: He struck back in a night time attack on the main British garrison at Germantown outside Philadelphia.
Think you mean Trenton.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Chuck Connors - army claimed him and eventually assigned him to the I. S. Military Academy at West Point as a non-commissioned instructor in tank warfare.

Dick Van Dyke - enlisted in the US Army Air Force in WWII
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “The Mosh Pit”