Glasses/Left Eye Dominancy

Experiences of those who wear/wore the scroll.
Atrum-Rivalen
Tadpole

Glasses/Left Eye Dominancy

Post by Atrum-Rivalen »

Rangers,

I've searched far and wide for an answer to this question, on this site and others. You see, I wear glasses, and I have the unfortunate curse of being right handed, while left eye dominant.

My first question is, the glasses issued to me, are they going to be as bad as my buddy who already finished his BCT described as "Birth Control Glasses".

Secondly, would wearing glasses and being left eye dominant be a detriment to my military career.

Third, should I bother trying to teach re-teach myself to shoot, only lefty?

Just trying to get a feel for what I should expect, and figure out what I can do to remedy any issues. Think it would be possible to just shoot righty anyway using my right eye? Thank you for any answers in advance.

-Atrum Rivalen
Bravo57
Ranger

Re: Glasses/Left Eye Dominancy

Post by Bravo57 »

Atrum-Rivalen wrote:Rangers,

I've searched far and wide for an answer to this question, on this site and others. You see, I wear glasses, and I have the unfortunate curse of being right handed, while left eye dominant.

My first question is, the glasses issued to me, are they going to be as bad as my buddy who already finished his BCT described as "Birth Control Glasses".

Secondly, would wearing glasses and being left eye dominant be a detriment to my military career.

Just trying to get a feel for what I should expect, and figure out what I can do to remedy any issues. Think it would be possible to just shoot righty anyway using my right eye? Thank you for any answers in advance.

-Atrum Rivalen
Yes, your glasses will look like shit. Instead of "Birth control" glasses, if you make it to the Regiment, you can get "go faster" glassses. Still look bad, but are designed for function.

I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I just shoot with both eyes open. Don't worry about that. Your Drill Sgt. will give you a good block of instruction on basic marksmanship.

Right now you should be focusing on your P.T. that is your 25m target. The rest will come in time.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
LeoM
Ranger

Post by LeoM »

#1-Probably
#2-No
#3- It wouldn't be a bad idea to practice and become proficient at shooting both lefty and righty.

I am right handed with a dominant left eye. I was able to shoot both left and right efficiently. Typically with a long gun I shot lefty. Otherwise I would shoot righty. The best advice I would give is to find what works for you and stick with it. If you make it to Regiment you will have plenty of opportunity to practice and see what will work for you most effectively.
A co 3/75 2nd plt '94-'97
RS 10-95
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

I am also right hand, left eye. I shoot right handed because I am strongly right handed and learned to shoot without respect to dominant eye.

When I became a Drill Sergeant, I would have at least 3-5 out of a platoon of 60 who were crossed like that - mostly right hand, left eye.

The key is if you can close your left eye and still see clearly out of your right. If you can't, then you will either be taught to shoot left handed or to compensate by shooting right handed and cocking your head to look out of your left eye.

I taught myself to be comfortable shooting left handed, both with rifle and pistol. It takes a few thousand rounds, but it can be done.

The biggest key is this: are you shooting for marksmanship? If you're putting aimed shots at targets of 250 meters or more, with little or no stress, you will most likely be most comfortable shooting lefthanded. If you're shooting reflexive or supressive, then you will likely be most comfortable (and quicker) with your dominant hand. That gets pretty important when the range is two-way and the target is shooting back at you. If you shoot left handed - your left thumb becomes very important because that is the side that the safety lever is on. Rifles are set up for rightys, and it's awkward if you're... well... if you're all thumbs with your left hand.

My advice - shoot right handed, but learn to shoot left handed. What happens when you have to shoot around a right hand corner of a building? A righty has to expose a lot of body, whereas a lefty can effectively engage and still be mostly covered.

Now that I've spent five minutes explaining the finer points of marksmanship and gunfighting - do what I told you to do in your introduction. Take a PT test. Then take the PT test as Ranger Kilted Heathen instructed you to do. You've posted 13 times in one day. That's ample time to do some PT.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Atrum-Rivalen
Tadpole

Post by Atrum-Rivalen »

Ranger 42L5V,

I will get the PT Test done ASAP, I couldnt run today due to having to watch my nephew. I would be able to get the test done, but not all at once for at least another few days. Should I do it in bits and pieces or all at once?
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

Atrum-Rivalen wrote:Ranger 42L5V,

I will get the PT Test done ASAP, I couldnt run today due to having to watch my nephew. I would be able to get the test done, but not all at once for at least another few days. Should I do it in bits and pieces or all at once?
You could have tried the 2 mile with him on your back (would have been an impressive adaptation to a situation)--It would have been a good simulation of carrying a 90mm.!!! 8)

And yes......do the PT test all at once. :roll:
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
Charlie 51
Ranger

Re: Glasses/Left Eye Dominancy

Post by Charlie 51 »

Bravo57 wrote:
Atrum-Rivalen wrote:Rangers,

-Atrum Rivalen
Yes, your glasses will look like shit. Instead of "Birth control" glasses, if you make it to the Regiment, you can get "go faster" glassses. Still look bad, but are designed for function.

I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed. I just shoot with both eyes open. Don't worry about that. Your Drill Sgt. will give you a good block of instruction on basic marksmanship.

Right now you should be focusing on your P.T. that is your 25m target. The rest will come in time.
Fuck you man, I made this shit look good!! 8)

C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Bwahahahahahaha!!!!

You owe me some copenhagen!!!

:lol: :lol:

That's why the WAD is smiling. He's thinking, WTF are those supposed to be?
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

I too am right handed and left eyed. With a rifle and using the sights, shot left handed, fom the hip I fired right handed. Wth a pistol, I shot rght handed. You will figure it out. But as been said already, focus on your PT and do't worry about what your glasses look like.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group

Return to “75th Ranger Regiment Public Forum”