Depression Medicine and Deployment??

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

First I say be careful when discussing this with anyone because although the Soldier shared the information with you it is still confidential.

Now on to the topic of deployability and Meds. Obviously the outcome will depend on the outcome of his SRP visit. The major question that will need to be answered is, How well is the Soldier's disorder managed. If it is in control and the meds he is on are available in theater (I will bet they are) then there shouldn't be any issue.

You as a leader just need to understand the Soldier's situation. Be careful not to over-manage the Soldier but always keep a watchful eye. If it turns out that he goes to shit....Send him home.

Hope this helps.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

X2.

Brush up on the HIPPA Act - you cannot violate his medical privacy.

Having said that - anti-depressants/anxiety medication is not a disqualifier for service. They are a disqualifier for ENTRY into service - or at least they used to be. That includes Ritalin and Concerta.

I was on meds when I deployed. Didn't stop me. I didn't even have to go to screenings while in theater - just refill my shit, please.

My SRP questions were "how are you?" "how does your meds do for you?" "do you have any concerns?"

If he's been on meds for a year, then they are doing what they should for him. Say what you want about depression and/or anxiety - but I'll bet you'll have a bigger problem in your unit with those who can't handle not drinking.

Keep an eye out for him, but I'd venture to say that he'll be fine. I actually came off my meds while in the box. Didn't feel like I needed them anymore. Probably not the recommended technique, but it worked for me.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

42L5V wrote:I was on meds when I deployed. Didn't stop me. I didn't even have to go to screenings while in theater - just refill my shit, please.
Valtrex?
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

Silverback wrote:
42L5V wrote:I was on meds when I deployed. Didn't stop me. I didn't even have to go to screenings while in theater - just refill my shit, please.
Valtrex?
No - I didn't need that until after the deployment...
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Omega Man wrote:Thanks for the answers here. I am aware of the confidentiality issues and that is why I am asking general questions.

He seems to be doing well and I would have never guessed that he was on them. He will be doing an SRP in the next few months so I guess we will wait and see what the DR's say.

I think that his biggest concern is that 1. He could not deploy and 2. He might get booted out and he is close to retirement.

Thanks again for the help.
As far as being booted out...if he has hit the 18 year mark then he can't be touched unless he breaks the law.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Medical Issues”