BEWARE NEW SUPER VIRUS

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

KeyserS175

BEWARE NEW SUPER VIRUS

Post by KeyserS175 »

I received an email with the below message about a new super computer virus. This has been verified on Snopes. Please pass this information on.

VERY IMPORTANT! BIG VIRUS COMING! PLEASE FORWARD!

All, I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are
gearing up for this virus! I checked Snopes (URL above:), And it is for real!! Get this E-mail message sentaround to your contacts ASAP.

> PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS!

You should be alert during the next few days. Do not open any message with an attachment entitled 'POSTCARD FROM HALLMARK,'regardless of who sent it to you. It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer. This virus will be
received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her
contact list. This is the reason why you need to send this e-mail to all your contacts It is better to receive this message 25
times than to receive the virus and open it.

Ifyou receive a mail
called' POSTCARD,' even though sent to you by a friend, do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.
This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever. This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

COPY THIS E-MAIL, AND SEND IT TO YOUR FRIENDS.
REMEMBER: IF YOU SEND IT TO THEM, YOU WILL BENEFIT ALL OF US

Snopes lists all the names it could come in.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/postcard.asp
BruteForce
US Army Veteran

Post by BruteForce »

Unfortunately, Snopes also indicates the virus is real (albeit dated), but that it won't wipe your hard drive and is not the BIG VIRUS that it's purported to be.

For the most part, this message is still a hoax.

Most antivirus programs and decent email programs will filter this junk out as the crap it is.

General common-sense dictates to take care with any electronic data, especially those you're not expecting. (ie.. a Birthday eCard when it's not your Birthday, etc.)

Edited to add: I'm not trying to be a smart-ass. These things generally are blown out of proportion by those not in a technical/computer role. Let your common sense guide you in all things Internet/email/web browsing related.
US Army 1986 - 1994
InfoSec/InfraGard/NetGuard (1994 - Present)
Random world and Adventures of BruteForce
EvilCouch
Ranger

Post by EvilCouch »

I hate chain letters.

They prey on people's fears and fill people's inboxes with worthless bullshit because they sound scary enough to non-technical people who want to be good neighbors.

Fortunately, they all sound like bullshit, if you know what to look for.
It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'burns' the whole hard disc C of your computer.
What the fuck is that supposed to mean?
do not open it! Shut down your computer immediately.
Hahahaha! That's retarded. No, just delete the fucking thing and don't open the email.
This is the worst virus announced by CNN. It has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.
CNN is crap for tech news. And Microsoft doesn't track viruses. They don't sell any AV software. Why would they bother tracking and quantifying viruses in the wild?
Clueless Joe(Sand hill): May 98 - May 99
Tabless Bitch (Bco 3/75): May 99 - May 01
REMF (11th Regt): May 01 - Feb 04
Leg Team/Squad leader (HHC 1-503, 2ID, OIF): Feb 04 - Dec 05
World's worst webcomic

Return to “The Mosh Pit”