Where were you and what did you you that day?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

I was back at base housing @ Eglin A.F.B. after P.T.

I was getting dressed and heard fighter jets taking off. Again and again, more and more taking off. I thought this was a little odd. I finished getting dressed, and watched out my sliding glass door as one fighter after another kept taking off. Sonic booms everywhere.

I called my 1SG to see what's up, no one answered the phones.

I sat down to put my boots on and turned on the T.V. and saw the first building burning. I watched and listened and thought that most likely it was a terrorist attack despite what the news said. They said it was a cessna, but the damage to me looked too much.

I then saw the second plane hit.

I have never before felt that much rage.

NEVER FORGET!
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Batiati
Embryo

Post by Batiati »

I was in 6th grade when this happened. My mom woke me up and turned on the T.V
I remember seeing the 2nd plane hit live, at first I thought it was just another explosion. Then they showed a replay and you could see the plane flying into it. My 11 year old brain couldn't really understand what was going on at the time, it seemed unreal. Like something out of a movie.
Just recently I've started to grasp how horrible that day was. I mean I've always lived on the west coast. New York is so far it might as well be somewhere in Europe. New York is part of America though, even though it's on the complete opposite side of where I've always lived in. I'll be damned if I'm going to let the mammals jammals get away with the pain they caused us that day.

I was never the religous type, but I still said a prayer for all the people who lost there lives on September 11th, 2001.
Ranger Kilted Heathen said to me.
You're a waste of time.

Fuck off.
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I was on my way to work when they announced on the radio that a plane had hit one of the towers in the NY Trade Center. My first thought was, "How can some dumbass fly a Cessna into one of the towers???? What...he didn't see it???" A few minutes later, they announced that the second tower had been hit by an airplane.........I got cold chills, I knew right away that we had been attacked by terrorists!

After I got to work, I walked by the conference room, and the TV was tuned into a news channel, and as I stood there watching........the first tower collapsed. Tears came to my eyes.....I had just watched thousands of people die. I was in shock....and then I saw the second tower fall!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
KeyserS175

Post by KeyserS175 »

I was getting ready to go to the range. I don't think words can really describe the feeling that went thru the barracks that day. I remember calling my GF (now wife) and telling her to turn on the news before the phones were confiscated and guard was set up.
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

I was getting ready to take my son (age 12) to school.....I woke up to the news on the clock radio....we saw the second strike live on tv.....I knew at that moment it was history in the making and briefed the kid; I'll never forget it ..... nor will he.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
RRDTm3
Ranger

Post by RRDTm3 »

KeyserS175 wrote:I was getting ready to go to the range. I don't think words can really describe the feeling that went thru the barracks that day.
I covet that. I would cut off my pinkie to have been in Regiment that day!
A co 3/75
RRD
RIP/PRC
Ranger Instructor 4th RTB
H co LRS
WTC
MUTC
#8-91

"I will never out rank stupid people"

Mentor to Myself
rgrpuck
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rgrpuck »

RRDTm3 wrote:
KeyserS175 wrote:I was getting ready to go to the range. I don't think words can really describe the feeling that went thru the barracks that day.
X2
CSM RGRPUCK
CL 3-88

Operation Just Cause (Dec- Jan 89)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan-aug '03)
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Jan- July "04)
Operation Enduring Freedom (Jan 07- Jan 08 )
Operation Enduring Freedom (Aug 09- Jan 10 )
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

rgrpuck wrote:
RRDTm3 wrote:
X2
Yes
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

Invictus wrote:
rgrpuck wrote:
RRDTm3 wrote: I covet that. I would cut off my pinkie to have been in Regiment that day!
X2
Yes
yeah, that's what I said last year on page 1.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Chiron
Ranger

Re: ,

Post by Chiron »

[quote="Chiron"]I was working from home and had the TV on as usual to catch any breaking news that may be of interest.

My 2 year old son was sleeping and my wife was at work. All of a sudden every channel was showing the same thing live. It was just after the first one hit. I’m like holly shit! I called my wife then my parents to ensure they got the news. Then I stopped working and stayed glued to the TV all day after that.

The first thing that crossed my mind was “If this isn’t an act of war then what is?â€
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I was in Kosovo hoping we'd get the call. We didn't. Those bastards from the the 187th did. Then, a few months later, I find out my best friend got a combat blast into Rhino with 3rd Batt.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

==BUMP==
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

I was teaching High School. One of the other JROTC instructors came in and said that a plane had hit the WTC. Initially we both joked about what a dumbass the pilot must have been. We were thinking Piper Cub, and not a large airliner.

About a half an hour later he came in and told me that a second one hit the same building. I asked him did he know how big, and he said it was an airliner. Thats when I knew it was not a dumb ass stunt. It was intentional. I also knew it was Bin Laden.

In a day when hardly anyone knew who he was, there were those of us in Special Forces who were real familiar with him. Like clockwork Bin Laden would pull off a major stunt about every other year. The last one had been the USS Cole. However, due to Clinton, the response against Bin Laden was always some timid rebuke.

I started getting students, and the rumors were flying. Teachers tend to be the dumbest herd animals on earth, and they were filling the kids heads full of wild stories. So for the rest of the day my class consisted of me giving them a history on why Bin Laden wants to kill us. My wife was back home (home was a hotel we were living in while waiting to move to our new house), watching TV and filling me in. I would pass on the news to the students.

One of the first things I thought of was that this was a fantastic hit. The coordination it took to pull it off must have been monumental. When I got home, and saw the images, I began getting into shape. I had been out of the Army for 2 years, and I figured it was only a matter of time before I went back.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

Return to “The Mosh Pit”