Rabbits and chicken in Ranger school?!

Three phases and 62 days of hell. This section named in honor of MAJ John Whyte who was taken from us on 04/17/05.
RangerWill175
Ranger

Post by RangerWill175 »

Oh, yeah back in the day...we had King of Pit after the hand to hand...last fucker standing got a Major Plus. I knew I was supposed to grab my Ranger buddy and crawl out before I got hurt (one of the things Batt boys are supposed to learn) but I went into berserker mode and started throwing fuckers everywhere. A lot of them were already down and heading out (like I was supposed to do) and the next thing I knew there were only 2 of us left. Well, long story short, I threw him, he threw me, I landed on my face and had to crawl out bleeding. 2nd place, no major plus. What a dumb fuck.

The absolute funniest fucking thing I saw in RS was during the survival training. Well, back in the day.....the RIs would bring out a live chicken and give a Major Plus to whoever would bite the head off. They picked the smallest fucker in the class, 2LT Ploshey. He might have weighed 125. Had BC glasses that covered his whole fucking face. The RI told him to grab the head in one hand, the bottom of the neck in the other, and pull while he was chewing on the chicken's neck. Ploshey wasn't expecting a King of the Pit battle but he got one. The chicken was flapping it's wings and kicking like a mule. After a minute or two, Ploshey had his glasses knocked off and was bleeding like a stuck pig. The RIs were just looking at each other, dumbfounded, till one of them went over and saved Ploshey. Evey phase something like this would happen to Ploshey. We all figured he would just quit before he got hurt bad. Like I said he weighed about 125, 100 pounds must have been heart and balls. He wouldn't quit for anything. His team really got behind him and he graduated with his tab. We had guys as big as linebackers quit but that squirrelly little fucker Ranger Ploshey never would.
There are a lot of nice people in the world...I'm just here to help even it up.

Co C 1/75 1/77-9/78
SWCDQC - Combat Diver
Rgr Class 1&2-78
Det 1 Co A 1/20 SFGA 81-83
Co H 122 IN (LRSU) 89-90
Co B 2/19 SFGA 90-93

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alan-willett-p-g/11/643/83" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
battleforcebulldog
Ranger

Post by battleforcebulldog »

Kilted Heathen,

I think that you might have done one better to an IOBC buddy of mine. My buddy petted the rabbit throughout the class. When it came time to kill the rabbit, the RI handed my buddy the knife and said "kill it." We had a laugh later about the look on his face when he heard "kill it."
RS 5-92, 327th Infantry May 92 to Jun 95. 100% civilian ever since.
redcon1
Ranger

Didn't get to kill nuthin!

Post by redcon1 »

I heard about the rabbit/chicken kill from recycles and was looking forward to it; but when survival day came around we didn't get to kill nothing.

At Dugway, though, we had a 'eat what you can catch' day where we were allowed to eat (after RI approval) whatever we could trap or catch. My Ranger Buddy snared (then clubbed to death) a small mouse-like creature with long back legs. We were allowed to cook it up and chow down.... not much meat, but in the fourth phase we took what we could get. Everyone else had to make tea out of roots, etc.

Side note: What the hell were those obnoxious gnarly tree-weeds that they called 'cedars' at DPG? They stank like hell when you burned them, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't any type of cedar!
Dave
RS Class 5-91

"Freedom isn't Free"
Lammy
Embryo

Post by Lammy »

The RI's decided it would be cute to have a skit for killin 'n skinnin' class.

So they come out looking like hillbillies, talking with a drawl, and they bring out cousin goober - the goat. Well, they go through their antics, and feign disgust at Goober. The RI pulls out a pistol, calls the goat a sumbitch, and puts a bullet in its head.

Problem was, it didn't kill the damn thing. The goat starts braying, stumbling and blood pours out of its mouth. The RI's struggle to hold it tight, and put another round in its head.

They haul it up in an a-frame and proceed to instruct us on how to skin it. All teams got a rabbitt and goat meat.

Good times...
B 2/75
Ranger

Post by B 2/75 »

Yup.... funny how you remember odd things.

Swackhammer was the H2H principle instructor for Class 4-80 on the Morgan Team, but then he must have transfered down to Rudder, because he was the Survival Day principle instructor for class 9-80.

He was a human double wall locker with legs.
- ALL THE WAY -
1st Plt B 2/75 - Sniper
Ranger classes 4-80 & 9-80
3/60 INF 9th ID
2/278 ACR TN NG
3/319 INF 80TH ID
4/4 FA
11th USAFAD (8" Special Wpns)
D/96 CA (A)
JIATF-East (Counter Drug)
478 CA (FID/UW) (IFOR/SFOR)
5 SFG (A) (OIF 1)
USSOCOM - Retired AUG 09
Biometrics Mgmt Office (AFG) (SAIC)
PM DoD Biometrics - Operations (SAIC)
abn-rgr
Ranger

Post by abn-rgr »

04-94 we did it in Darby phase. We also had rice to go with the carrots and potatoes. I remember Ranger students scrambling on the ground for every last piece they could find. Extra chickens and rabbits were awarded to squads who made the fastest fire, built the best lean to, and made the best field expedient weapon.
RS 04-94
"Hard and Cold for the Black and Gold"
Ne Desit Virtus
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Class 08-91... I had a bunny. It was a cute bunny. Nice and furry, and kept me warm whilst the RI's gave the class. My Ranger Buddy, was a West Virginia HillBilly... and he showed me how to play "Bunny Baseball."

I have never heard a bunny scream before... it was erotic.

Then, we skinned it, keeping the hide intact... and started doing little bunny puppet shows.

Oh, the good ole days.

That was the one night in Ranger School that I actually enjoyed. The stew was the best I had ever had... well, in my foggy memory.

If I live to be a hundred years old, I will not forget that night.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

B 2/75 wrote:Yup.... funny how you remember odd things.

Swackhammer was the H2H principle instructor for Class 4-80 on the Morgan Team, but then he must have transfered down to Rudder, because he was the Survival Day principle instructor for class 9-80.

He was a human double wall locker with legs.
Swackhammer.... Dang that brings back memories. He was at the start up with 3rd Bat. I think he got fed up with all the initial BS that happens when you start up a new unit, and moved on.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

In my class, we did the "kill" class in Florida. Sadly, we did not take the time to cook the stew long enough, but everything got eaten.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
LRS Guy
Ranger

Post by LRS Guy »

I remember we did kill class in Benning phase. As I recall that bunny was mighty fine eating!!!!!!

I don't recall killing anything in the survival class we had at Desert phase. Though we did do quick raid on the trash cans.
RS 1-92
1-504 PIR 89-90
3-504 PIR 90-92
H. Co 121 INF (LRSC) 97-00
134th INF (LRSD)01-02
Back to living the LRS Life in the 143rd LRSD!

Confirmed "Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard"
johnjohnson1957
Ranger

Post by johnjohnson1957 »

Survival day was in FL around day 4 for class 10-81. We were seriousily smoked for 3 days and then on day 4 we go into admin mode around a large circular pond. Soon it is time for chickens, rabbits and ammo cans. The RIs took care of putting the goat down. I think they shot it. It was a very good day, first and only time I remember being able to kick back, relax and eat.
Army AD medic: FAMC, 2/5 FA, 97 Gen Hosp, AFRC Berchtesgaden, 28 CSH; 1975-1980
Army Guard/Reserve: 1/410 Inf, 209 Med Clr Co, 12th SF: 1982-1988
USAF AD: 1988-2003; Retired
RS 10-81

Return to “About Ranger School - In Honor of Ranger BattleBoar - RIP”