Ankle pain from running

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I can tell a big difference in my aches and pains between running on pavement and running on dirt and trails. While researching different brands of running shoes I also found that different models provide varying degrees of support depending on your gait and arch type. I would occasionally get sharp pains in my arch running up into my ankle on one foot when running. The shoes were fairly new, but the pains stopped when I switched to some quality trail running shoes.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Shoes are the key to good running, well there's that and the fact you have to run regularly
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Do the ABC's with your feet. It will strengthen both your shins and ankles.

Hold your feet out, and write the ABC's with your toes. I really works great, and you should do about 2 sets in the morning and 2 sets at night.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Bravo57 wrote:Do the ABC's with your feet. It will strengthen both your shins and ankles.

Hold your feet out, and write the ABC's with your toes. I really works great, and you should do about 2 sets in the morning and 2 sets at night.
Bravo57 speak-um heap big truth. That is one of the best exercises I can think of to keep your ankles flexible and strong. Great for shin splints too..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

No problem Leg :wink:
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Look for a specialty running store... i.e. Fit2Run, or FleetFeet...

Go there, and have them do a Gait Analysis on you.

They will put you in a Neutral shoe first, and put you on a treadmill... and film you while you run for a few seconds.

The computer stops the film and shows if you pronate, supronate, or run neutrally.

The clerk will then fit you into several different shoes, and find the last that fits your feet, running style, and body mechanics best.

This would be the best 15 minutes you have ever spent.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “About Army Physical Training”