NREMT-I and the Army

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

NREMT-I Nationally Recognized Emergency Medical Technician - Intermediate

"Will the 75th care?"
My guess is yes they will care, if you decide to become a Ranger Medic. Otherwise, not so much.

The Sleepy Doc may have some better information for you. I'm sure he'll be along shortly.
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Hmmm... let me think about this one... I'm a squad leader in the Regiment and I'm trying to decide who gets to carry the aid bag?... The guy with no training or the EMT... Hmmmm, that's a tough one.. :roll:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure someone will take interest. Not during Basic/AIT/Airborne though. I don't care if you are a thoracic trauma surgeon, while in school you are just another student. They don't like showboaters. If somebody asks, tell 'em.. Or if there is an extreme life or death emergency (and I do mean life or death) then spring into action. However, don't go walking around with a T-shirt on with a big "EMT" on the back and introducing yourself as one. Remember, cadre are trained to a similar capacity as an EMT because people get hurt alla time, or there will be experienced medics there on site. If they ask for your help, great, otherwise step the fuck back and let them do their job. In RIP, don't even bother. The average Ranger 11B could run rings around you in a medical emergency while smoking your ass (and getting some chicks phone number).

As far as the recertification, you will have to get with your local medics wherever you wind up to find out if it counts; some will and some won't. They would be the ones signing your paperwork anyway.

Congrats, though. Not an easy course to pass.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

No, but you may have to.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

poopscoop wrote:Are you really expected to perform skills on pediatrics/geriatrics?
In a war where the key terrain is Hearts&Minds, that's just another way to win a battle, when the local has a sick child or mama that the Yankee can keep alive.
It isn't always about killing and breaking things.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
rgrmiller
Ranger

Post by rgrmiller »

Poop,

At Bn, each squad usually has at least 1 EMT-B. with you're EMT-I you'll be a leg up civilian side, but not much else. Bn med will help you keep your certification, with yearly training, focusing on trauma primarily. Ranger First Responder is taught to everyone at RIP. Look up Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC) for more information about military medicine, specifically
Sua Sponte
Nous D'efions
--
C co 2/75 99-03
RGR CLS 05-00
B-3/1 SFG 05-08
C-1/1 SFG 08-13
C-2/1 SFG 13-Present
DJB
Ranger

Post by DJB »

You will receive an award....called a Skedco......congrats.

AHH HA HA HA!
:lol:

Yes you will.
Aco1/75 Rgr 92-98, class 3/94, 300F1 5/95
Instructor Medical OBC, 99-00, 143rd LRSD (TXNG) 00-03.
Contractor Physician JBLM 2010-

Jihadists have no means by which to destroy the institutions of our society, while the Congressman does.

http://www.lifesharers.org/
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

bustedkidney wrote:
You will receive an award....called a Skedco......congrats.

AHH HA HA HA!
:lol:

Yes you will.
or an Israeli litter..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

My Perspective,

Although it seems like a million years ago, 91B1Ps in Batt were at least EMTB with skill sets up to I and P. Sleepy Doc was paramount in this training on my end as a cherry (me). Couty filled in the tactical blanks. Miller layed the overall SOPs and pioneering of what RGR Med is today.

As I recall, the packing list was such that you would be lucky to have water. Food consisted of seeds, Cope, Jerkey, and dried fruit stuffed in the map pouch of your rack.

Regt. Surgeons stressed the "Ranger" part before the "Medic" part.

Some skills looked sexy on paper in the field, but were simply not feasible.

As a medic, my priority was to save Ranger lives consisting of:

-Actually getting there physically - some Docs would fall the fuck out!
-Fighting the fight as a Ranger rifleman.
-Setting CCP's to standard as per Couty's guidance.
-Employing skills set by Sleepy Doc.
-Following the SOPs set by MSG Miller.

NREMT B-I-P whatever - just get the training, practice it and hopefully it will save a Ranger's ass.

But then that was like....almost 10 years ago.

Return to “Medical Issues”