Long introduction

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

I think you need to go from day one OSUT to refresher to RIP like any one else. As much as the O's think that ROTC and IOBC is equivalent to BCT it isn't.

Did you drill or were you Mobilized during your career?

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
pellett2007
Tadpole

Post by pellett2007 »

Welcome, PM inbound.
Sometimes you feel tired, feel weak
When you feel weak, you feel like you wanna just give up
But you gotta search within you, find that inner strength

Mentee to Ranger Bill.
Basic: 12 September 2008, Fort Benning.
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Tell them you want to come in as an E-4 P

Coming in as a buck SGT with no tab = lots of pain and suffering

I agree with Tough. Do it like all the kids coming off of the street. You will have a better chance of re-learning what you learned, but the main difference will be from the enlisted side (quite different).

Also, If I were you, I would keep my mouth shut about what you already know how to do and what you already know. Just go with it and do well in your training. The "squeaky wheel" will most definitely get the oil.

Lastly, thanks for serving. Good luck at the challenge ahead. Many try, few make it.

P.S. Your run time sucks. You need to be at 80% in the 17-21 year olds P.T. to pass R.I.P.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Long introduction

Post by Jim »

IYCBIYCAI wrote: I am not going to make any decision for at least one month, to make sure I’m not jumping headfirst into a crazy midlife crisis.

I’d be curious to hear the collective thoughts of the Rangers on this board.

This is a decision you have to make for yourself, If it is based on some midlife crisis, treat it as such. On the other hand, walking away from a successful law practice to become a rifleman in a Ranger fire team may or may not be more exciting than having an affair with some 19 years old C-cup hottie.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

I served with a guy that got out as an O-3P (he had a company in the Gulf War) who enlisted and came back as an E-5 Chemical guy. Of course, we threw him in the 3 shop because he was a WP dude.

Anyway, he opted to do BCT, AIT, etc. He was glad he did and, once the CoC caught wind of his past, he was given a lot of 'extra' duties to help the BCT unit. This helped him get back into shape and gave him the leverage for some more 'gentlemanly' treatment.

Were I you (and I'm not) I would look at the reserve SF unit in the Mass NG. You have an education and background that is more conducive to the SF mission, and you'd get a shot at RS. Plus, you can run a practice and take care of that little one.

If Rangers is your goal, then go for it. I just think you could make more of a contribution as an SF NCO than humping a 240B.

Welcome and best of luck either way.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

You really need to examine and re-examine your true motivation for wanting to re-do your life. Could-of/would-of/should-of back then is all fine and good. But that does not neecesarrily translate into necesity of doing it now. Usually we have to live with the choices we have made in the past. Dreaming of re-doing a part of your life when you look yourself in the mirror is one thing. Doing it is another. Your situation is much different now than when you were a young single man with few obligations. My sense is that you want to run, but I wonder if you want to run from something or to something. And in either case, in your situation is it the right thing to do? No one has a regret-free life.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

Welcome to the site, Sir.
RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
Mr_Handsome
Ranger

Post by Mr_Handsome »

In my uninformed opinion, you're going through a mid-life crisis...but it's your choice. If you do decide to go in, I hope you don't quit.

In either case, good luck...thank you for previously serving and thank you for serving again.
B Co 3/75
1996-1998
PxRanger
Ranger

Post by PxRanger »

I can't image going through RIP at 35 years old, I was 22 or 23 and considered pretty old. I remember there was one old fuck in "one of" my RIP classes way back in the day (I think he was a Vietnam Vet). I highly recommend trying to keep it very quiet that you were commissioned while you are in RIP. I had resigned my NG commission when I went active (went in as an E1, though got a retroactive promotion to E3 at some point). I was considered "dual status" during my enlistment with an "inactive commission" that required that I still got officer evals from my commanding officer. Paperwork came through about this requirement while I was in RIP and my new name became O1E1 which resulted in smokings that most definitely made me a better Ranger in the end. Good luck. I for one respect your thought process and think that after some prayerful thinking you ought to go for it. Either way, thanks for serving this great nation of ours.
81-84 NYARNG
84-85 C 2/75 2nd Plt Weapons Squad
85 Pre-Ranger North Fort Lewis
85-86 C 2/75 Supply
86 - Medical Reclassification to leg land
86-87 9th AFSC

"Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. You just happen to like being the bug, Ranger." ~SSG Paniagua
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

You have already addressed your challenges...So all that is left for me to say is Good luck and stick with it.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

I was 30 when I felt the call. Best decision I ever made. I think you'll do fine, Sir. Good luck.
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

RTO wrote:I was 30 when I felt the call. Best decision I ever made. I think you'll do fine, Sir. Good luck.
I was expecting you to post a link to a previous reply to this introduction. Thanks for keeping me straight.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"

Return to “Introduction Archive”