Best Binocular Value Out There?

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Best Binocular Value Out There?

Post by hobbit »

I've been collecting binoculars for many years, everything from an 1862 fixed-focus Civil War-era field binocular to the finest from Zeiss. Of all the binoculars I've ever owned, my favorites were a set of Zeiss 10X42 roof prism (that I lost while backpacking), a 1980's vintage Nikon Superior E 7x35 poroprism, and a Steiner 8x24 with razor sharp optics that collapses down small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.

Yet as far as value vs. features goes, I just purchased a binocular that has to go to the head of the class.

They're made in Germany, in Wetzlar as a matter of fact; they're beautifully crafted with fully multicoated lenses; they're 10x42 with brighter light gathering capability than I've seen in any other binocular; they have phase corrected roof prisms; they're rubber armored and advertised to be "nearly indestructible"; they have a polycarbonate body giving them a weight of 22 oz., lighter than nearly any other in their class; they're o-ringed throughout and completely waterproof down to 5 meters; they're nitrogen purged and have barrels filled with expensive argon gas making them almost impossible to fog up in temperature extremes; and they offer eyeglass wearers one of the longest eye-relief figures of any roof prism: 16mm. In a word, this is one beautiful pair of glasses.

With all those features, and a Wetzlar genesis, you'd almost have to guess these are Zeiss or Leica binoculars, right? Close, but no cigar. They're actually MINOX BD BL binoculars, designed by the famous spy camera company. But then MINOX is fully owned by Leica, and Zeiss makes all of Leica's binoculars, so that means these MINOX binoculars are actually Zeiss binoculars made for Leica to be marketed under the MINOX logo.

I have no idea why these binoculars are being marketed in the US (imported and distributed by Leica of North America) as inexpensively as they are. I also have no idea why the green models never caught on in popularity as did the black models. The green model is what I bought and I think it's a very handsome binocular. The price? $399 for the black, and as low as $319 for the green! Better jump on these while you can. They won't stay this cheap for long, and they're as good if not better than nearly anything twice their price.

L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Do they have the Mil scale in them?

http://peosoldier.army.mil/factsheets/SW_RFI_M24.pdf
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Silverback wrote:Do they have the Mil scale in them?

No, but then neither did any of the binoculars we Rangers used in Vietnam. In fact, we would have killed for binoculars of this quality over there. What they do have, is a little forceps-like tool in the case that one could use to extract leeches, or, if the occasion warranted, even to extract a burr up one's ass.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

hobbit wrote:
Silverback wrote:Do they have the Mil scale in them?

No, but then neither did any of the binoculars we Rangers used in Vietnam. In fact, we would have killed for binoculars of this quality over there. What they do have, is a little forceps-like tool in the case that one could use to extract leeches, or, if the occasion warranted, even to extract a burr up one's ass.
So it would be safe to assume that since they could be used to remove something from someones ass, they could be stuck up someone's ass?

No Mil scale = useless for miltary operations (21st century rules)
Last edited by Silverback on August 20th, 2006, 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Silverback wrote:So it would be safe to assume that since they could be used to remove something from someones as they could be stuck up someone's ass?
Maybe....if you had a regiment backing you up.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

hobbit wrote:
Silverback wrote:So it would be safe to assume that since they could be used to remove something from someones as they could be stuck up someone's ass?
Maybe....if you had a regiment backing you up.

:roll:
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
rangerbatt275
Ranger

Post by rangerbatt275 »

The nikon monarch ATB's are good for a $250.00 price.
wpns Sqd/1 plt/C co/275
87-90 Ranger Class 7-89

Return to “Personal Gear”