Introduction/Research (long post)

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

don't sweat it Gordo, we were roping the ray out of the Station when I left, so yours ain't current.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

If you are legitimate, go through the Department of the Army Public Affairs Office.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

KW Driver wrote:don't sweat it Gordo, we were roping the ray out of the Station when I left, so yours ain't current.
Damn I hate when I date myself like that!

Dude wants background why not just join and volunteer for Regiment than he will have all the backgound he needs. Frankly I'm sick of these punkass mmaggots coming in here trolling for glory and war stories, so they or their "author" can make a gazillion bazillion dollars and go to 'A' list parties in HollyWeird where they can bitch about the knuckledragging neanderthals who gave them such a hard time while they did their "research". RESEARCH, Research for a freaking fiction story! Just google the crap you want to know and go the freak away. Freaking research my hairy, acshe! Why not write a story about how you were gonna write a story about something you didnt know anything about and while conducting research you got stonewalled by a bunch of neanderthals. That might make some interesting science fiction!
Sheesh, what a maroon!
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Gordo173 wrote:
Dude wants background why not just join and volunteer for Regiment than he will have all the backgound he needs.
Some of us are old enough to remember when Robin Moore wrote his book "The Green Berets" and was doing his research - he asked JFK Center if he could just "hang around the guys" and interview them etc. Nothing doing, he was told, he was put in a Q course and went thru the old Gobbler Woods FTX complete with night drop into the woods of western NC. Whatever one thinks of Moore and his books, at least he had the cojones to go thru the SF course.

Note that two days and several requests later this individual remains totally anonymous with no effort at all to answer questions.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
Vee
Ranger

Re: Additional Info

Post by Vee »

RSI wrote:.

The research I'm doing is for the back-story on a particular character.

Not a character you plan on portraying on your myspace page I hope!
RSD 96-99
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Here's a thought coined by one of the Warriors on this board.

"I'm not the way I am because I was a Ranger - I was a Ranger because of the way I am."

That about sums it up.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Gordo173 wrote:Why exactly does a person writing 'fiction' require a "Research Assistant" ?

!
To make the fiction believeable.

Successful novelists use researchers - a good writer will do basic research to begin with, but once the work begins, he's sending someone else out to get the details.
Guys like Clancy or Wambaugh have entire staffs working for them.

Not looking to lend credibility to RSI, just answering your question.
RSI might just be a CI dude looking for the leakers.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Lefty wrote:
Gordo173 wrote:
Dude wants background why not just join and volunteer for Regiment than he will have all the backgound he needs.
Some of us are old enough to remember when Robin Moore wrote his book "The Green Berets" and was doing his research - he asked JFK Center if he could just "hang around the guys" and interview them etc. Nothing doing, he was told, he was put in a Q course and went thru the old Gobbler Woods FTX complete with night drop into the woods of western NC. Whatever one thinks of Moore and his books, at least he had the cojones to go thru the SF course.

Note that two days and several requests later this individual remains totally anonymous with no effort at all to answer questions.
My thoughts exactly.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Had a friend in RIP who was a card-carrying member of the screen actors guild. (oddly enough he got chosen to be in some of the recruiting commercials they filmed on Benning at the time.. totally by coincidence)
When asked "WTF are you doing in the Army when you could be hanging in Hollywood with hot actresess?"

His reply? He wanted to be able to portray Soldiers, and in particular Rangers with accuracy. Motherfucker did three years and graduated sniper school. Ironically, I don't know of any big acting jobs he got after he ETS'd.

Now that is doing role research.

Also, when they were scouting locations for "We were Soldiers.." one of the producers visited RTB. They ran him, with much glee I might add, through Malvesti. The studs were also going through and I just happened to be on medical coverage. I kept thinking "They are gonna kill this guy.." because he had to be in his late 40's or early 50's. He only got about half way through and then called "No Mas!.."
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

If this cat really wants to do some research and has time on his hands, I know where he can get some..

(I'm just sayin'.... :roll: )
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Lefty wrote:Some of us are old enough to remember when Robin Moore wrote his book "The Green Berets" and was doing his research - .
Speaking of whom:
viewtopic.php?p=499884#499884

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Ranger Bill wrote:If you are legitimate, go through the Department of the Army Public Affairs Office.

Now there is some damn good advice.

Skippy comes walking in here, thinking we are just gonna bend over backwards for him, and tell em everything he wants. Hell, lets violate OPSEC why we are at it and tell him about how we all have a secret decoder rings !

:shock: OOP's, huh, did I say that ...........

Go away, skippy, poser, hiji, who ever the fuck ya are.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

RANGER513 wrote:
Ranger Bill wrote:If you are legitimate, go through the Department of the Army Public Affairs Office.

Now there is some damn good advice.

Skippy comes walking in here, thinking we are just gonna bend over backwards for him, and tell em everything he wants. Hell, lets violate OPSEC why we are at it and tell him about how we all have a secret decoder rings !

:shock: OOP's, huh, did I say that ...........

Go away, skippy, poser, hiji, who ever the fuck ya are.

Great! :? You told him about the secret decoder rings! :x

I can't believe you said that.
Well, since we're spilling the beans
I might as well tell him about the secret handshake then...

Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Had no idea - but I posted that just before he passed!

Guess I best not name any more names in posts lest it be fatal to the named......
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Lefty wrote:Had no idea - but I posted that just before he passed!

Guess I best not name any more names in posts lest it be fatal to the named......
allow me to suggest certain political candidates and a lawyer I know...

RS 9-76

Return to “Introduction Archive”