Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Geedep
Embryo

Introduction

Post by Geedep »

First of, hello to all the Rangers. I have nothing but the upmost respect for each and every one of you.

My name is Matt, and I am a 23 year old from PA. I enlisted in November as 11x option 40 wanting to be an Airborne Ranger. I have alot of college credits under my belt (lets say more then 100); however, no degree. I ran out of financial aid when I really needed it, but I'm not really worried about it and this is had no factor in why I joined.

From being a kid I had always wanted to be a Ranger. I had always dreamed of it but never acted, and it took me only about 2 weeks after an intern at a hospital to make me realize what I was put here to do, and thats to be in the military, without a doubt.

I have already been to MEPS and swore in and leave January 30th. I have only been browsing this site for the last few weeks though. I wish I would have found it sooner but was researching on goarmy.com, which I now realize is useless compared to here.

Anyways, I wanted to drop in, say hello, and thank all for some really quality posts that are very informative. I will try to stay as active as possible as well as keep my progress posted. Thanks again.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome to the site Matt and congratulations on securing your option 40. Not much time left, hope you are a PT stud right now because there's not a lot of time to change it.

Good luck, may GRITS be with you and I hope to see you back here several months from now after you get your shit.
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

Welcome Matt. Like RTO said I hope your PT is excellent. Just read as much as you can on here. I promise it will help.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
Geedep
Embryo

Post by Geedep »

I think my PT is alright, but obviously I wouldn't know the standards as well as you guys. The only thing that is lacking is my running in that I'm recovering from shin splints right now, but still training like a mad-man on the eliptical, bike, and swimming. I can do around 80 push-ups in 2 min and 70 sit-ups. My mile time before I got shin splints was 6:30, never had a chance to get a timed 2 mile, but feel comfortable running a 14 min pace on a treadmill. Do you think that is ok for the time I have remaining before I leave?
SupplyRanger
Ranger

Post by SupplyRanger »

I'm not one to bust your balls on this site. I'd rather do it in person but since your far away here you go. When you reply to a verified Ranger on this site you need to address them by Ranger first and then their name. Rangers are known for the discipline and if you plan on becoming one you may want to work on that now. If you have haven't already read the stickys on this site you better do an about face and read them now. Is that clear?
Now, welcome to the site and congrats on securing your option 40. Best of luck in your quest to become an Airborne Ranger. Continue to train but do not over train. EOM SR
Ranger School CL# 04-05
rgrking
Ranger

Post by rgrking »

SupplyRanger wrote:When you reply to a verified Ranger on this site you need to address them by Ranger first and then their name.
SupplyRanger wrote:Continue to train but do not over train. EOM SR
Two very true statements for you. If you over train your body will fail you when you need it most. Your shin splints need time to heal. If you abuse them they will keep you down the entire time.
rgrking

RS2 1995 -1996

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8
Geedep
Embryo

Post by Geedep »

Roger, thanks Ranger SupplyRanger, my balls definitely needed to be busted there. Sorry if I offended you Rangers, did not mean to get off on the wrong foot, and thanks for the advice.
DRM
Paratrooper

Post by DRM »

Welcome. PM inbound.

-DRM
Copperhead
Tadpole

Post by Copperhead »

Welcome Matt.

PM inbound.

-Caleb
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek."
-Mario Andretti
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

ReconFool

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome

Your name needs a change since you are not yet either a veteran nor active army. Since it is Christmas time, you PM me with the name you wish to have. You can have this name back in the future/after training if you wish. But mind you - no one would like having a ReconFool as their team mate since recon in itself is a very serious & deadly business.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Re: ReconFool

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Steadfast wrote:Welcome

Your name needs a change since you are not yet either a veteran nor active army. Since it is Christmas time, you PM me with the name you wish to have. You can have this name back in the future/after training if you wish. But mind you - no one would like having a ReconFool as their team mate since recon in itself is a very serious & deadly business.
Unlce Stead just saved your ass...
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome and congratualtions for enlisting to become an Army Ranger. Your life is about to change and for the better. Be sure to read the ROE PM I have sent you and take advantage of this site before you ship.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Matt, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. Yours has a lot to be desired. Couple questions come to mind: Where did you go to school? What was your major? When will your shin splints heal? What do you hope to accomplish by enlisting?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Welcome. Where you from in PA and where did you go to school?
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Geedep
Embryo

Post by Geedep »

Rangers, first off, I am from the Philadelphia area and attended Upper Moreland High School.

After I graduated I decided to go to East Stroudsburg University to continue my wrestling career, as they were affordable and also Division I. I originally was majoring in History, but changed over to Psychology because I always had a fascination with the mind. I interned at an Acute Mental Care floor in a hospital this summer to complete a course. Although I liked what I was doing, it just wasn't something I could see myself doing. Being stuck inside a hospital for 8 hours a day would be draining for me, as I absolutely love the outdoors. I'm a fisher, hunter, hiker, camper...you name it I do it.

I have always wanted to be an Airborne Ranger from a child, as I grew up around it because of my father, but never acted upon it. My parents didn't really want me to do it either, so that is another reason for the long delay. But I want to develop the initiative and leadership that the Rangers possess. It is something that is very beneficial in me eyes, not only in the Army, but in every aspect of life. With whatever I decide to do, either making the Army a career path or not, it is something that I will take with me wherever I go.

I could not see myself as a regular infantry soldier. Everything I do, I try and do 100% and stand out. Thus being an elite soldier has been and is very appealing to me. As for my shin splints, I expect only a few more weeks for them to completely heal. I have been resting them for the past 2 weeks, and will probably do 2 more. I have the time to rest now so I thought I may as well so I don't have to at any training. Well sorry for blabbing so long, just wanted to give you a thorough background.

Return to “Introduction Archive”