Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

j.rico wrote:
GeorgeVstar wrote:Hello Rangers, Veterans and Ranger Parents,
Just a little follow up on the status of my son. He informed me that he is on RIP hold till November 25th. He will start RIP on November 26th, which will be the last class of the year. Based on what he has shared with me this week, RIP hold has not been too bad. I do not think he has been smoked too much. He informed us that he will be getting a few days off for Thanksgiving, so he will be flying home for some turkey and family time with us!! Then the fun begins for him for three weeks. Every time I speak to him I just keep supporting him and keep telling him that he has had this dream for a many years and it is getting closer to fruition. I know he can do it as long as he gives it his all!

I wanted to thank the Rangers that have sent me PM’s; it has meant a lot to me and my Wife. The support and advice has been incredible! You are all an incredible group of Men!!

Thank you for all you do.
Sir,

If I may, I'd like to make a small recomendation:

As I made bold above, he'll be coming home right before he starts RIP, and then "the fun begins". I don't know how long he'll be home for, but remember that one of his first tasks in RIP is the APFT. This may not be a problem, but after a weekend getting fat off of Turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes, people generally don't do as well as they'd like to. I've seen it here with my students at UT (it took me over a year to convince my COC that we needed to change our record APFT to before Thanksgiving instead of right after it).

You'd do well to make a strong effort to keep him focussed, hydrated, and supervise some PT while he's home. If I'm not mistaken, this will be his first time home since he left? If so that only strengthens my point. I've got some ideas on how to make this happen, if you need any help send me a PM.

But I can't stress enough that going balls to the wall right after a weekend of food, beer, women, and fun is pretty tough. But not a problem if your head's in the right place.

rico
Over the years, I have noticed a pattern that the PT following a holiday / long weekend is all psychological. And I'm convinced it's designed that way.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

Jim wrote:Over the years, I have noticed a pattern that the PT following a holiday / long weekend is all psychological. And I'm convinced it's designed that way.
X2
Many's a day when I had to eat "smoked turkey" after a holiday. One big head game. Sweats the beer right out of you.
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG

Return to “Introduction Archive”