Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

Where are you at as far as the recruiter goes?

The reason I ask is once you have secured your opt 40 contract, you might be able to get a Ranger Mentor, but not before.

Now, as to your PT scores:
desertfox07 wrote:PU: 52 (the first 45 were consecutive)
SU: 40 (the first 36 were consecutive)
2 mile: 19:23
This is actually something we could work with fairly easily if you have the right work ethic. When I entered OSUT in 97, believe it or not, my run time was worse than your's. However, it wasn't long before I was quite a bit faster, and maxing my PT test. I'm certain we could help you, but your first priority is to decide what it is you want and then go after it. If you want an opt 40 contract, go get one. After that we'll talk.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
desertfox07
Embryo

Post by desertfox07 »

j.rico wrote:Where are you at as far as the recruiter goes?
Ranger J.Rico,

I am moving home this Saturday to look my mom in the eye and tell her this is what I'm doing with my life. Come Monday I am going to the recruiter and scheduling an appointment with MEPS to get my physical and sign my contract. (all the paperwork is already complete)

I am now able to run two miles without walking and I do SU and PU every morning (SU and PU at night as well). They are increasing as I go along.

Also, what advice do you have on how much time I should set to prepare myself before I leave for Basic? My recruiters down here are harassing the heck out of me to leave right now but I really want to get in good shape.

Thanks,

PG
desertfox07
Embryo

Post by desertfox07 »

desertfox07 wrote: Also, what advice do you have on how much time I should set to prepare myself before I leave for Basic? My recruiters down here are harassing the heck out of me to leave right now but I really want to get in good shape.
86 that question. I won't post again until I have a contract signed. I know when I'll be ready.

PG
Bikkstah
Embryo

Post by Bikkstah »

They're trying to get you to go quick to quick-ship you (leave within 40 days). If you do that they give you a big(er) bonus, but don't take the money if you're not ready. Your run time is bad but I was around there when I left for OSUT too and got down to 13:30 by the end. Big thing is push-ups, in my opinion. More guys had trouble with push-ups then anything else.
1/125th INF, 37th IBCT, 38th ID (ARNG) - '06-Present
Rico
Ranger

Post by Rico »

desertfox07 wrote:
desertfox07 wrote: Also, what advice do you have on how much time I should set to prepare myself before I leave for Basic? My recruiters down here are harassing the heck out of me to leave right now but I really want to get in good shape.
86 that question. I won't post again until I have a contract signed. I know when I'll be ready.

PG
I'll respond to your quesiton anyway. I try not to ever reply to a question with a question, but really...

How hard are you willing to work???

I've generally been able to pull PT scores up with a 4-6 week timeline. One DEP we just had leave was working for only a month and was able to score a 335 on his APFT before he left. He was an example of someone with a good work ethic and dedication. How is your's?? So the answer to your question is one I can't really answer, only you can. So I ask you again, how hard are you willing to work?

I don't need a response, words are cheap and in great abundance for everyone. But your answer to yourself can be worth gold if you really mean it.

Get back to us with a current SITREP on your recruitment process when you can.
WEBCO 2/75 1997 - 1998
HHC 2/75 Mortars 1998 - 2005
Ranger Class 7-99

Mentor to alex03209

I have brought you to the ring, dance if you can...

-William Wallace
Kilted Heathen
Tadpole

Post by Kilted Heathen »

Bikkstah wrote:They're trying to get you to go quick to quick-ship you (leave within 40 days). If you do that they give you a big(er) bonus, but don't take the money if you're not ready. Your run time is bad but I was around there when I left for OSUT too and got down to 13:30 by the end. Big thing is push-ups, in my opinion. More guys had trouble with push-ups then anything else.
You've been told once before and now you're being told again.

Stay in your lane. The only fucking experience you have is fucking OSUT.
Your advice will do these kids more harm than good.

So shut the fuck up.
312th LRS 1st CAV 89-91
RS 12-91
RI 4RTB 92-94
H Co.121(ABN)(LRS)04-PRESENT
WTC PRC 05-06
OIF 06-07
WTC PRC 07-2010
TF Wolf MUTC 2010-

"The lapdance is always better when the stripper is crying"

The trouble with Scotland is it's full of Scots!
desertfox07
Embryo

Post by desertfox07 »

j.rico wrote:Where are you at as far as the recruiter goes?
Ranger j.rico,

I was supposed to have my contract signed yesterday, but unfortunately the eye doctor was not available to administer a refraction test during my appointment with MEPS.

This is the only piece of the physical that stands in my way of signing on the dotted line and my research and recruiters confirm it is nothing more than a formality, as my vision is able to be corrected to 20/20 so as to meet the Army's standards.

I am scheduled to finish the physical on 20071001, sign my contract and swear in.

As my contract and slot is reserved in the Army's FSR system, I know my ship date is 20071114.

My PT scores could be better, but this is where I stand physically:

PU: 62
SU:57
Two Mile: 14:45
Pull Ups: 11

Also, I've shed six pounds since I've started running regularly. With a ship date a month and a half away, I will have plenty of time to continue preparing.

I apologize for the delay as I didn't want to provide an update until I had something tangible to report. Come Monday that contract will be signed.

Thanks,

PG
Glenn, MSG Ret.
US Army Veteran - Ranger Parent

Post by Glenn, MSG Ret. »

ARE YOU GETTING AN OPTION 40 CONTRACT??

If you really want to have a shot at the 75th Ranger Regiment that's what you'll need! Don't walk out of MEPS without it! My son got lucky & got an 11x/abn/option 40 contract in Infantry OSUT along with some other guys but that was just a lucky break.

His recruiter knew he wanted Airborne or Rangers or SF but tried to get him a 19D Cav Scout contract & never told him about option 40! He even had to wait a few months to get a slot in Infantry OSUT.

Good luck!
Former 2nd squad 3rd platoon A Co. 3/75 Dad
USNavy 1960-1966
USArmy 1980-2001
Retired MSG

Return to “Introduction Archive”