Danner TFX boots

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
screescrambler
USMC Veteran

Danner TFX boots

Post by screescrambler »

I'm eyeing Danner TFX desert boots [in addition to the Garmonts I posted a query about a few days back]. One of you -- Desert Sloth I think -- mentioned in a previous post that his unit had switched over from Acadias to the TFXs because the TFXs are lighter and more durable.
But that's about all I've seen in this forum on the TFX. The Danner website claims they weigh only 43 oz, presumably per pair. Anybody else in a position to comment on TFX comfort, durability, etc? Thanks.
"What the f*** is wrong with you, Private? Do you have a sucking head wound?" - Senior drill instructor, Platoon 1036, MCRD Parris Island, June 1979

USMC reserve 1979-82
USMC 1982-85
GoardHeart
Ranger

Post by GoardHeart »

I have both the Gortex and desert TFX. I got the gortex ones on my 8 hour pass between Darby and Mountains. I wore them the entire FTX in Dahlonega and they held up to some serious punishment. I was so impressed with them that I went out and bought the desert model so that I could have a pair to use in hot weather. I've road marched in them, worn them in garrison, and in field problems. They are the best and most comfortable boot I own. I did swap out the original insole for a pair of the SOLE Ultra moldable insoles. But that I was after Ranger school. The standard insoles work very well too. Just personal preference I supose. Bottom line. The boots are well worth the investment. The gortex model is a darker suede like the standard issue marine boot with the EGA on it, but the TFX does not have the EGA. And I also added some drain holes to my desert pair. I would buy both so have one for each season. I know you can pick up the desert model at clothing and sales and the gortex model should be available at RJ's or any other large surplus store. Hope that helps.
RS 05-07
1st ID 1-26 IN 9/07-09/09
3d U.S. Inf Regt 10/09-Present

OEF IX - Korengal Valley
screescrambler
USMC Veteran

Post by screescrambler »

GoardHeart, many thanks. As you suggested, I checked Ranger Joe's online catalogue and both varieties are available. But I didn't find the Gore-tex model on the Danner website ... wonder if they've stopped making it?
"What the f*** is wrong with you, Private? Do you have a sucking head wound?" - Senior drill instructor, Platoon 1036, MCRD Parris Island, June 1979

USMC reserve 1979-82
USMC 1982-85
screescrambler
USMC Veteran

Post by screescrambler »

Thanks Desert Sloth ...
Though [for now] I now live up in CO, I'm intimately familiar with the 'shitty terrain' you mentioned. So that's about the best recommendation you could give a pair of boots. Reckon I'll spring for both pair [Gore-tex and desert] next paycheck.
Fact is, I always seem to wind up back in the Ol' Pueblo. Even now I make it down 3-4 times a year, still have lots of friends/family in the area. One couple are both senior officers on TPD.
On my last visit, in May, I went on a ballbuster of a conditioning hike -- Mt Wrightson from the north [Florida Canyon] approach, and back. It was after that I knew I had to replace my battered Merrills with something taller and sturdier ... preferably something I can wear with ACU.
I know the BP guys must feel like they're shoveling sand vs the incoming tide ... but the political winds are shifting. I have some friends from Cochise County who are border-security activists, and they're being taken seriously in DC for the first time in years. [One is a retired Ranger, if I'm not mistaken]. Even a lot of lefties support a border crackdown.
Thx again for the advice!

USMC reserve 1979-82
USMC 1982-85

Return to “Personal Gear”