Micro-Tech Auto's

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Micro-Tech Auto's

Post by cams »

Thinking of getting one, they're pretty pricey though, anyone have any Pro's/Con's from owning one?

Comparitively speaking with say, a Benchmade or similar high end auto.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

One of the Gear-dos in my unit bought one to the tune of $350-$400. It's a sweet knife and works great in the grit and dust of Iraq, all he did was put a few drops of MIL-TECH in the hinge every few months and it never failed. He claimed it worked as well as it did since he bought it.

However comma (pause for dramatic effect), my Benchmade auto folder worked just as good, and for the issued price of free, you can't beat it. It never failed to function in the same conditions, and it holds an edge well. If you had to buy one, $150 is about the going rate last time I checked.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

CatFish Driver wrote:One of the Gear-dos in my unit bought one to the tune of $350-$400. It's a sweet knife and works great in the grit and dust of Iraq, all he did was put a few drops of MIL-TECH in the hinge every few months and it never failed. He claimed it worked as well as it did since he bought it.

However comma (pause for dramatic effect), my Benchmade auto folder worked just as good, and for the issued price of free, you can't beat it. It never failed to function in the same conditions, and it holds an edge well. If you had to buy one, $150 is about the going rate last time I checked.
Roger, thanks Bro, I'll be getting the discounted price of $0.00. (Clothing allowance) Can't beat it!

I've had both, front opening and side opening, and due to my being left-handed, the front opener works best for me.

I've found myself not being to able to readily feel the indent button on side openers and having to actually look down to get my fat little fingers on it, again I think this may be due to the southpaw factor (knife has to be upside down and activated with my index finger, similar to lefty's having to hold grenades upside down to get to the pin).

The front openers have a much larger activation button/slide and aids in the quickness.

I wasn't sure about the quality of the Micro-Techs but it sounds like it's right there with Benchmade.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

I have a Microtech Scarab that came with some small tools, a pouch...and I shit you not, a TM. They are awsome knives but have a safety feature that prohibits stabbings on contact, an (OTF) feature where the blade pops from the spring power if it encounters too much resistance. They are pricey and mine was roughly $500.00. Microtech makes some good products as does benchmade.

A real custom Itallian stilletto can run as high as $200 an inch. Robbie Dalton's cupid is a damn good blade like most of his practical series of knives. Wayne Clark is pretty good, making a Stiletto that is close to same quality as Robbie Dalton's line but in the traditional Itallian type "dress". Automatic knives are pretty much like anything else where you get what you pay for. The one automatic that I take with me on gigs is the Robbie Dalton with a scale release. www.888knivesrus.com seems to have the deals and the customer service is outstanding.
rgrjoe175
Tadpole

Post by rgrjoe175 »

I have a Ultratech and a Makora. Both are very nice knives.

JP
1/75 80-83
Class 6-81
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Excellant. I'll give 'em a shot then and if I can figure out how, post a pic when I get it.

Thanks.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Return to “Personal Gear”