Skills

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
simpson
Embryo

Skills

Post by simpson »

Rangers,

I’m looking for study guidance. I would really appreciate a list of emergencies, ortho, sick call, war trauma and anything else that would make for a good subject to study. I would like to come more prepared to BAT.
Simpson
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Here is a plan for you to study while you are on medical hold:

1- Do PT as much as you can. While you are on hold you will be tempted to get fat and lazy. DO NOT slack off on this!
2- When you can smoke the highest age-group standards for 80%, keep doing PT. (Don't forget your pull ups!.. no lesss than six, and no cheating!..)
3-Do PT until you can mock your peers, running a 6 minute mile backwards...

In all seriousness, don't concern youself with the medical training yet. There will be plenty of time for that. All medical training is sequential and designed to build upon itself, whether you are trying to be a doctor or first responder. As a medic, you will do better in Batt. if you are an absolute fucking STUD at PT..

As medics, we are kind of looked on suspiciously as non-hackers by the grunts, until you can prove you can make the cut. This is done in 2 ways; one is by being able to last in Batt, the other is getting your Tab. The fastest way to get your Tab is to be a PT god. I never got my Tab... But I did a Tour (4 years) in Batt. Believe me when I tell you that the first way is far, far easier than watching people who got there after you ETS as E-5's

I assume that you are no longer in AIT because you said you are on hold. You want to do one thing that will pay big dividends down the line? (Other than the PT..) Get yourself a decent stethoscope and practice taking a manual blood pressure accurately. You don't have to get a $175 Littman Cardiology II, anything in the $25-$50 range will do nicely.

And don't hold back on the PT!....

[Edtied to add]- I'm not embellishing one fucking bit when I say that you are required to be in the same condition as a professional athelete. If you make it to the Regiment, you will be.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
simpson
Embryo

Post by simpson »

Ranger The Sleepy Doc,

Thank you for the response.

I have been going at least 1-2 hours of PT a day, that includes: rucking, regular CD PT, running and weight lifting. My plan is to get to a 330 in my PT test in Airborne. I have a 300 now.

I have been doing manual BP’s at the clinic everyday and have gotten good at it. I do it myself and then have one of the docs or RNs validate my work. So far I have only been a few points off here and there.

Once again thank you for the advice Ranger The Sleepy Doc.
Simpson
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

If you need help along the way go ahead an shoot me a PM, but don't worry about the medical training. All training you will do in the Army is designed for you to pass it, if you make the effort.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “Medical Issues”