Requesting help!

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
bikinmike
Embryo

Requesting help!

Post by bikinmike »

Hello Rangers and members of this Forum, and thank you for reading my post.

My question that I have for you, and I've looked around and can't seem to find anything is --

How can I work on pullups.. without a pullup bar?

You see, I live far away from any Gym and or Park that has one.. I live in the middle of a Desert, you see. I also thought of getting a Pullup Bar for my own house, you know, the ones you stick in doorways.. Then I looked at my house walls and doorframes.. And.. well I could punch a whole through them without even trying, so it's out of the question to get one. (
(And yes.. Feel free to call me a schmuk for living in a shack in the middle of a desert :wink: )

With all of your expertise on PT, I was hoping you have some ideas.

Thank you for ANY help!
Hooah,
Bikinmike.
HOORAY!!!

LOLCATZ!?
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I'm sure with some ingenuity you can come up with something. The only way to improve your pull ups, is to do more pull ups. Grab the door casing with your finger tips and pull your little body up, yes it hurts your fingers, but it wont kill you. The only thing stopping you from finding a way to do them is you.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
bmf175
Ranger

Post by bmf175 »

On your monthly visit to civilization you can visit a sporting goods store and spend about $100 (maybe more depending on quality) on a Pull-up/ dip station.
Make sure to put it a good way from the out house and in the shade....you're set.

If you dont want to spend that much money, go to home depot or lowes and buy some 6x4in pieces of wood (ABOUT 10 FEET LONG) a metal pipe about four feet wide.... dig two holes insert bar through holes....
you got yourself a pull up station do the same for dip bars.

I know they have the wood pieces at one those places because I have already looked into putting some for myself outside my place.
C Co & HHC 1/75
1997-2005
RS Class 02-00

Rangers
Monsoon and cmurder
Gordo173
Ranger

Post by Gordo173 »

Jeezus Crimminy! No wonder this country is falling behind in all matters of intelligence! Do they not teach kids to use their heads for something other than putting baseball caps on back asswards anymore.

Look genius you may live in the bleedin desert but unless you're posting from the great Western Wasteland of Saudi Arabia or some other Middle Eastern shithole than you still reside in the US. I guess you went to school somewhere moderately close by or that you go into town on occassion to get resupplies of Dr. Pepper, twinkies and 'SCREW' magazine, well when you do check out the school yard, public playground or local park. Betcha find this thing called a jungle gym or whatever the politically correct, liberal term is these days. Guess what Einstein, you can probably find some piece of equipment there that is about 4-8 feet off the ground and has some sort of horizontal bar that could be used in a pinch mind you as a de facto pullup bar! (Holy Radical Thinking Batman, thats thinkin WAAAY outside the box!!) Try that on occasion, so you can avoid spending a few bucks building something that you will in all probability, build wrong and or badly and still never use or cant use. That and you'll be saving a few trees from a needless death.

Cripes what a maroon!
Wpns/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
1/1/C/2-75(INF)(RGR)(ABN)
C,HHC,D/3-6(INF)(Mech)
HHC/2-504 PIR
A/1-504 PIR
HHC/1-82(ABN)
Oopps almost forgot Class 4-84

"Always with the negative waves Moriarity!"
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

I bet he can play the FUCK out of an X Box.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
bikinmike
Embryo

Post by bikinmike »

Thank you RangerGuru and Ranger bmf175 for your replies. I was looking for more of an excercise/lift I could do to work the muscles in place of a pullup, but there doesn't seem to be one worth a flying damn.

The nearest town is about an hour and a half drive from my house, so I'll have to pickup some materials to build one outside. Should work well as I have good solid turf about a mile around my house before it turns to sandy crap.

I apologize to the other esteemed Rangers who thought this was a dumbass post, I was merely hoping that with all your PT, you knew of a good lift or excercise I could do in it's place.
HOORAY!!!

LOLCATZ!?
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

GSXRanger wrote:I bet he can play the FUCK out of an X Box.

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Son, get in the truck, drive as long as you have to , go buy a couple of 4x4 posts, a bag or two of ready mix and a bar a build a pull up station for yourself.... :roll: and stop using living in the desert as an excuse.....get cracking.....!
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
bmf175
Ranger

Post by bmf175 »

bikinmike wrote:Thank you RangerGuru and Ranger bmf175 for your replies. I was looking for more of an excercise/lift I could do to work the muscles in place of a pullup, but there doesn't seem to be one worth a flying damn.

The nearest town is about an hour and a half drive from my house, so I'll have to pickup some materials to build one outside. Should work well as I have good solid turf about a mile around my house before it turns to sandy crap.

I apologize to the other esteemed Rangers who thought this was a dumbass post, I was merely hoping that with all your PT, you knew of a good lift or excercise I could do in it's place.
Exercise wise i guess I dont know anything that could help you if you dont have any access to a gym or pull-up bars of your own.

Make sure you make the pull-up station very sturdy and dont do any crazy hanging upside down BS (of course I dont know why you would).

If you have any questions and you think it may be stupid you can PM me, before you put it out in the open.
C Co & HHC 1/75
1997-2005
RS Class 02-00

Rangers
Monsoon and cmurder
bikinmike
Embryo

Post by bikinmike »

Hoover wrote:Son, get in the truck, drive as long as you have to , go buy a couple of 4x4 posts, a bag or two of ready mix and a bar a build a pull up station for yourself.... :roll: and stop using living in the desert as an excuse.....get cracking.....!
Yes Sir, Ranger Hoover, I will have a properly functioning pullup bar built and operational in 3 days.

Ranger bmf175 thank you Sir, I will be sure to do that.
HOORAY!!!

LOLCATZ!?

Return to “About Army Physical Training”