Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

author
Embryo

Introduction

Post by author »

Hello all,

I am a journalist and author currently at work on a book about a former LRSU from Desert Storm. I posted a question in the 75th Ranger Regiment about the definition of the word "strack"/"strac", but obviously neglected to post an introduction first, per the site's rules. My apologies. (And thanks to Horned Toad for pointing me in the right direction.)

I would love to get any feedback anyone might be able to provide. And I hope I might be able to use the forum and as a reference in the future. It's great to have a community like this out there and I certainly appreciate all the help.

Thanks.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

Welcome to the site.
AbnRgr289
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by AbnRgr289 »

Welcome.

Thank you for posting an intro, your thread has been unlocked by HT.
"It's not for us to reason why, it's just for us to Do or Die!"

"S.A.F.R.A.!"

Bco 1/263rd Armor SCARNG. 11/84-7/87
Aco 3/75 Rgr Regt. 1/88-2/90 (Op-JC)
HHC 2/18 197 Inf Bde/3rd Bde 24th ID. 2/90-5/92 (Op-DS/DS)
HHC 4th RTB 5/92-12/95
Rgr class 1&2-89
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Steadfast »

author wrote:Hello all,

I am a journalist and author currently at work on a book about a former LRSU from Desert Storm. I posted a question in the 75th Ranger Regiment about the definition of the word "strack"/"strac", but obviously neglected to post an introduction first, per the site's rules. My apologies. (And thanks to Horned Toad for pointing me in the right direction.)

I would love to get any feedback anyone might be able to provide. And I hope I might be able to use the forum and as a reference in the future. It's great to have a community like this out there and I certainly appreciate all the help.

Thanks.
I underlined a major imperfection of yours - Horned Toad is a Ranger by title & as such you will address all Rangers with the title as: Ranger Horned Toad, or Rangers Cliv03, RTO & AbnRgr289.

Welcome
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

Thanks.
A little FYI, most of us do not read shit by people that have not been there. So if you are helping some stud write a book, cool. If not stick to bullshit no one cares about like global warming and campaign fund contributions. The last thing I need to read a book by some dipshit having to look up the meaning of "stract". If you are under 42 why don't you just sign up and see for yourself, Hemmingway did and it wasn't even his war.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site.
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Charlie 51 wrote:

Thanks.

A little FYI, most of us do not read shit by people that have not been there. So if you are helping some stud write a book, cool. If not stick to bullshit no one cares about like global warming and campaign fund contributions. The last thing I need to read a book by some dipshit having to look up the meaning of "stract". If you are under 42 why don't you just sign up and see for yourself, Hemmingway did and it wasn't even his war.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site.
Ditto.

Who are you writing for?

Who is the person telling the story?

Is this fiction or half/fiction or biography etc?

Why the fuck do you think I'll talk to you about something you don't get?

Why do you think this is something new and we will all be excited to help you? Seriously... You aint the first kid who wants to "tell the real story".

What is your political background? Are you a screaming liberal who will turn every word a Warrior tells you into lies or misinformation?

Oh yea, welcome to the site. Now go buy my book and get some insight.
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Please post a CV or at least a list of the titles and publishers of your work so we may take you seriously.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
author
Embryo

Post by author »

Ranger Bill:

Thanks for the professional request. I hope the following suffices, though I realize it will probably fall short of what you're looking for.

I am a former daily newspaper reporter who currently does freelance work for a broadcast news station in Chicago. I am working on my first book, and therefore unfortunately do not have a list of previous titles to point you toward. The book is non-fiction, and it is about a former Ranger/LRSU who served in Desert Storm. It is almost exclusively focused on his post-military life. It has only a very short section about his time in the military. However, as I am sure everyone in this forum understands, his experiences as a Ranger form an indelible part of who he is and what he has gone on to achieve.

Hence my request is more for help with a simple footnote definition. I just want to get other Rangers' perspectives on the term "strack"/"strac" (I included a note on the alternate spellings, which I would also appreciate feedback on, in my original post). I know exactly what he means when he uses the word, but it is versatile, and therefore an objective definition that I can publish is hard to come by. I have Gary Linderer's take, but I'd appreciate getting other Rangers', since the term doesn't show up in dictionaries.

Beyond that, I'm not asking for anything. However, I do respect how tight-knit the Ranger community is and might consider posting some of the brief passages that deal with his service for professional feedback once the book nears publication (if anyone cares). And as for publication, as a previously unpublished author I am not currently under contract. However I am represented by a well-known agent who represents a number of prominent authors and have been in talks with a major publishing house. Therefore the work does stand a good chance of making it out there once the manuscript’s finished.

As for some of the other posted questions:

1) I'm writing independently
2) The person telling the story is me, though it very much represents the views of this former Ranger
3) It is entirely non-fiction and primarily biographical
4) I don't suppose anyone will talk to me about "something I don't get" for any reason other than it might help other people understand Rangers’ service and how it has shaped one man
5) There is nothing in the world that is entirely new. My book is simply a new variation on a familiar topic/region/experience as it relates to the life of one remarkable man
6) Politics: Like all journalists, I am a particular fan of pink feather boas and gang bangs in the Castro District. Hopefully my avatar gives some indication that I love it rough.

Regards
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

Welcome.

Are you sure he is not a poser?
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
Fishboy
Ranger

Post by Fishboy »

Ranger Luna wrote:Welcome.

Are you sure he is not a poser?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good stuff!

and welcome.
WHEN IN DOUBT, SHOOT IT OUT!
Never let your fears stand in the way of your dreams.

RS 4-92
author
Embryo

Post by author »

Thanks, Ranger Luna. I'm pretty confident he's not a poser. I've seen his photos from the Gulf and know his background pretty well. I will, of course, be checking service records before publication, though.
Charlie 51
Ranger

Post by Charlie 51 »

author wrote:6) Politics: Like all journalists, I am a particular fan of pink feather boas and gang bangs in the Castro District. Hopefully my avatar gives some indication that I love it rough.

Regards
1st Batters, here's a live one for ya :twisted: :twisted:
C Co 2/75 Weapons
Classes 4-5/93

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there" - Will Rogers
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

author wrote:Thanks, Ranger Luna. I'm pretty confident he's not a poser. I've seen his photos from the Gulf and know his background pretty well. I will, of course, be checking service records before publication, though.
If you would like, you can PM me his name and we can check for you.

We have that capability right here.

The reason I ask, is that there have been numerous posers that have gotten published in such a manner. It's more common than you might think.......
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
GSXRanger
Ranger

Post by GSXRanger »

Welcome to the site.

Now, understand... you are in the company of Heroes here. There are men on this board that have bled for this country, time and time again. You will not find a finer collection of Patriots anywhere else.

There are MEN on here that have been there, done that beyond most civilian's wildest dreams, and most... if not ALL would be willing to speak to you, and help you out.

But, there are ground rules. This is a RANGER site, run BY RANGERS, FOR RANGERS. A little time reading the FAQ's and STICKIES will go a long way.

I applaud you for helping tell this Hooah's story. At the same time... tell him about the site here, and have him join up.

Again, welcome... and I hope you get the help you are looking for.
RS 08-91
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Return to “Introduction Archive”