AKO-CAC

Turning warriors into productive civilian leaders: Employment & Education, Dealing with Veteran's Administration, etc.

Moderator: Site Admin

KKovac B Co. 2/75
Ranger

AKO-CAC

Post by KKovac B Co. 2/75 »

Ok, what is a CAC and where do I find mine? AKO won't let me log on without it. In addition, can you keep your AKO account after you ETS? I have about 3 months left on my NG enlistment.
B Co. 2/75 (88-92)
Ranger School Class 10-90
Operation Just Cause 12/20/89
Silverback
Ranger

Re: AKO-CAC

Post by Silverback »

KKovac B Co. 2/75 wrote:Ok, what is a CAC and where do I find mine? AKO won't let me log on without it. In addition, can you keep your AKO account after you ETS? I have about 3 months left on my NG enlistment.
The Common Access Card (CAC) is a United States Department of Defense (DoD) smartcard issued as standard identification for active duty military personnel, reserve personnel, civilian employees, and eligible contractor personnel.

The CAC is used as a general identification card as well as for authentication to enable access to DoD computers, networks, and certain DoD facilities. It also serves as an identification card under the Geneva Conventions.[1] The CAC enables encrypting and crytographically signing email, facilitating the use of PKI authentication tools, and establishes an authoritative process for the use of identity credentials.

Not sure about whether or not you can keep your account.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
atlantabravz
US Army

CAC

Post by atlantabravz »

You should already have a CAC. As long as you have the white ID card with the gold computer chip in it, you are are good to go. If not, you need to go to the nearest DEERS/RAPIDS ID card office and get one. In order to change your password on AKO and have it last for the standard 150 days, you will have to do a few things:

1. Ensure that you remember your CAC pin number (you established this when you were issued your CAC at the DEERS office)

2. Set a temporary AKO password through one of the reset options that you can find on the AKO home page under the "Help" section and "Reset Password." You will be able to use one of three options to reset it and have it last for 3 days. You can answer your security questions if you've established them. You can re-enter your expired password and set a temporary one for 3 days. You can also have a reset link e-mailed to the non-AKO e-mail address that you have registered on the site.

3. Login to AKO with your temporary password and register your CAC on AKO. You can find how to do this by clicking on the link under the "FAQ" section on the home page titled "How do I use my CAC to login to AKO?" Keep in mind that you will need to be on a computer that has a smart card reader as well as the proper software.

4. After your CAC has been successfully registered, you then need to login with your CAC. AKO will prompt you to reset your password and it will last for 150 days.

Because of new DoD regulations, the full time personnel at your Guard unit should have all of these things setup. You should be able to go in there during a duty day and get squared away.

Also, from what I've read and seen, you will only be able to keep your full AKO account if you are still in one of the authorized categories in TAPDB. If you will be completely discharged from the NG after a full 8 years satisfied, then you will have to change your account to a guest account and become sponsored by someone. You will not have to use a CAC to login or change your password unless you are in an active TAPDB category. Retirees, family members, etc. don't have to do it either. Any more questions, feel free to PM me or post them on here.
ALARNG 1995-1997, PFC/E-3
USAR 1997-1998, SPC/E-4
ALARNG 1998-2000, SGT/SMP Cadet
USA 2000-present, MAJ, AG
OIF/OND (29 total months in Kuwait as of March 2011)

Return to “Post Service Issues”