"Water" in the knee

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
91W
USAR

Re: "Water" in the knee

Post by 91W »

Shorebreak wrote:I am only 20 years old so I know I am no where near close to having bad knees.
Sounds like you have one bad knee....

It is commonly referred to as a Knee Effusion. The most common cause is arthritis. My disclaimer, I am not a MD. The problem when I saw it in the clinic usually resulted from overuse or a Meniscus tear. In your case since it is random there is a good chance that you have minor ligament injury that is undiagnosed. I have had this happen before and was diagnosed with a Meniscus tear that was not bad enough for surgery. The Meniscus acts like a shock absorbing type of cartilage in the knee. The first thing I noticed was a "clicking" in my knee when I would flex and extend my lower leg. For the most part I was pain free until it started to swell up. After about 8 hours and alot of motrin it would feel good enough to walk on. The symptoms were random and would pop up with no warning. I would be pain free again in about 24 hours.

After seeing a sports med doc I was sent to PT and given exercises to strengthen the muscles in my knee and proper stretches to do before running and have not had a problem in years. Go get yourself checked out. Whatever the problem is it will not resolve itself.
"If you cannot accomplish great things, Accomplish small things in a great way"

"A Goal is a dream with a deadline"

USAR 1995-2005
OIF 2004-2005
91W
NREMT
hit_it
Paratrooper

Re: "Water" in the knee

Post by hit_it »

91W wrote:
Shorebreak wrote:I am only 20 years old so I know I am no where near close to having bad knees.
Sounds like you have one bad knee....

It is commonly referred to as a Knee Effusion. The most common cause is arthritis. My disclaimer, I am not a MD. The problem when I saw it in the clinic usually resulted from overuse or a Meniscus tear. In your case since it is random there is a good chance that you have minor ligament injury that is undiagnosed. I have had this happen before and was diagnosed with a Meniscus tear that was not bad enough for surgery. The Meniscus acts like a shock absorbing type of cartilage in the knee. The first thing I noticed was a "clicking" in my knee when I would flex and extend my lower leg. For the most part I was pain free until it started to swell up. After about 8 hours and alot of motrin it would feel good enough to walk on. The symptoms were random and would pop up with no warning. I would be pain free again in about 24 hours.

After seeing a sports med doc I was sent to PT and given exercises to strengthen the muscles in my knee and proper stretches to do before running and have not had a problem in years. Go get yourself checked out. Whatever the problem is it will not resolve itself.
I have this same thing going on for about 7 months now. The clicking has me hesitant to increase my speed when running. After some time running on a treadmill it goes away, but only until I'm done runninr. The Doc said basically the same thing you did, but gave me some Naproxen. He did NOT give me any exercises to do. :x
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg

Return to “Medical Issues”