Pull-Ups??

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
RTO
BANNED

Post by RTO »

JohnDowland wrote: Just imagine what it feels like to be a new private who's holding up a line of hungry NCO's because he's struggling with #4 :shock:

:shock:
Looon
Ranger

Post by Looon »

I sucked at pullups. The more you weigh, the taller you are, and the longer your arms are, the harder it's going to be on you. It doesn't matter how strong you are ether.

I struggled just to make 6. I was prolly one of the strongest guys in Bco, but I couldn't do shit for pullups.
B Co 3/75
1989-1990
Just Cause Airlando Commando
PFC Smith
Soldier

Post by PFC Smith »

Well I bought a pretty good military fitness book which imcorporates just about everything. I know as long as i stay with it ill be fine. Oh but as of now I'm a reservist so I dont have a mentor. I shipped for Basic about two weeks after my 17 birthday so i didn't become aquainted with DEP. Was I supposed to get a mentor or something???
Split-Op Soldier
5115 TSU, Fort Meade
Draco
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Draco »

During my APFT at Airborne school last monday we did not conduct the pull ups. When I asked a Sergeant Airborne why he just sort of shrugged and walked away.
WTF?? :shock:

There are a couple of ways to increase your pull-ups. Partner assisted, barbell curls from different angels, lat pull downs, etc.

Bottom line is cross train as much as you can.
1/10th SFG(A) Bad Toelz, FRG 85-88
Co. G/143rd INF (LRRS) 89-91
Rgr Class 6-92
Jack of all trades 92-present

"Hope and pray that you'll never need me,
But rest assured I will not let you down.
I'll walk beside you but you may not see me,
The strongest among you may not wear a crown." 3DD
Hoover
Ranger

Post by Hoover »

Partner assisted, or controlled let downs from an "up" position work well, also big heavy rubber band looking things work good as an "assist"......but, I think controlled let downs work the best.
2/75 C Co. 81-84
Ranger Class 14-82
"Cry Havoc Let Slip The Dogs of War"
1st SPWAR Tng Bn (Abn) USAJFKSWCS 87'
RLTW !
Mentor to J.P. Deepwater
RIP Class 02-07
Ranger Class 09-07
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

JohnDowland wrote:During my stay, the 3rd Batt chow hall had them in front of the entryway, and everyone had to knock out ten good ones before every single meal of the day. Just imagine what it feels like to be a new private who's holding up a line of hungry NCO's because he's struggling with #4 :shock:

That alone should instill in you the urgency of upping your reps!

Roger that. Same with 2nd Batt.

Before every meal and before every formation.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

xCalebx wrote:I apologize if this has been asked before but my search turned up nothing, in the military, is it proper to use a grip with palms facing inward, outward, or does it matter? Also for a rep to be counted your arms must bend past 90 degrees on the way down correct?
xCalebx Note to self:
DONT RESURECT POSTS THAT REQUIRE GREAT PERSONAL TORTURE!!!

But, for your information...yes do lots of pullups and the correct step by step for is as follows:

step1: grap bar (both hands stud, both hands)
step2: Pull your dick holster over the bar (that means chin..face..etc)
step3: slowly lower yourself down into the monkey hang, arms extended completely.
step4: Pause...admire the miracle that is you
step5: REPEAT UNTIL YOUR ELBOWS EXPLODE!!!

Any Questions, PM Cams....I'm done with this thread!!!!!!
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
bulldogg
Tadpole

Post by bulldogg »

Rugby workout specifically targetting the biceps... "21's"

Take a pair of dumbbells of moderate weight while standing and without swinging your shoulders or moving your back perform the following routine:

Perform one set of seven repetitions- starting position is with the arms fully extended the motion moves the arms to a position where the forearms are parallel to the floor.

Rest 60 seconds (no more!)

Perform one set of seven repetitions- starting position is with the forearms parallel to the floor moving the arms to the full up position.

Rest 60 seconds (not any longer)

Perform one set of seven repetitions- starting position is with arms fully extended and moving to the full up position.

If you are using the correct amount of weight the last repetition should fucking hurt like hell... if it doesn't you need to up the fucking weight. If your form sucks, ie you swing your shoulders or back, this is where you buddy comes in with a nice swift fucking slap to correct you.
USA/87-89/91A
USAR/91-93/91E
INARNG/93-95/44B
"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"

Return to “About Army Physical Training”